Wednesday, 26 June 2013

New website, end of an era, story arcs

A few bits and pieces for you today.

Firstly, writer Samantha Tonge has a lovely new website, and best of all, she's added a page of tips on writing for People's Friend. Of all the magazines, I feel this one has the strongest identity. I know many excellent writers who've never managed to get a story published in PF, where others seem to quickly hit the right tone and go on to sell dozens. Sam's in the latter camp, and is kindly passing on her tips to the rest of us!

Secondly, for those of you who enter writing competitions, take a look at Sally Q's latest writing calendar blog post. Sadly she's giving up keeping this calendar up to date at the end of this year. If anyone fancies setting up their own calendar, or perhaps if you already run one, let me know and I'll add a link to it from this blog. Thanks to Sally for all your hard work over the last 5 years, keeping us informed about all the competitions available.

And finally, it's not just me who likes graphs of story arcs. See Della's latest post! If you've read my ghost story book, you'll know I included some graphs in the introductory section. What do you all think - does it help to think of story structure in this way? I come from a mathematical and scientific background, and I do find a diagram often illustrates a concept far better than a string of words (and me, a writer?! *rolls eyes*). But what about the rest of you? I'd love to know what you think.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that, Kath :) I hope the tips prove useful to folk.

Sam

Morgen With An E said...

Hi Womag

I have a competition page on my blog

http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com/competitions-calendar

listing probably 200-300 competitions: by month (Jan-Dec) then weekly, monthly, quarterly, ongoing and competition websites (I'll remove Sally's). :(

It would be great if you could list it.

Thank you.

Morgen

womagwriter said...

Thanks Morgen, will do!

I need to update all permanent links on this blog, and will do so soon.

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Thank you for the links.

x