Monday, 22 March 2010

Loving the language

Here's a thoughtful post for you - Kate Long over on Nik Perring's blog, talking about how rhymes and hymns learned at a young age influenced her love of words and ultimately led to her career choices (English teacher, now full-time novelist).

There's a chance to win Kate's latest book. She's asking for comments describing your early wordy influences; best answer wins her book.

I've been mulling this over but the one which keeps popping into my head from childhood days is:

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella
But chiefly on the just because
The unjust stole the just's umbrella.

which is a bit silly really. Though I do still like it!

7 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oooh!!

Mine is: "The Owl and the Pussycat" - cos it rhymed and it was an owl and a pussycat and it was very romantic and had a lovely ending and was very musical for a poem!

:-)

Take care
x

Ellan said...

I'm looking forward to reading what people have to say...
Mine was the initially unintelligible Hiawatha (thanks to Miss Stone, a fantastic teacher) e.g. From his footprints flowed a river,
Leaped into the light of morning,
O'er the precipice plunging downward
Gleamed like Ishkoodah, the comet.
We were infants, and she read it to us at the end of each day. Hypnotic, dense and magic!

Sally Quilford said...

I've just posted on Nik's blog. Mine is In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans. It used to scare me to death when I was a child!

womagwriter said...

Great! Can you put the comments over on Nik's blog though!

Old Kitty said...

LOL!!!

Of course!!!

:-)

Take care
x

Nik Perring said...

I love that!

And thanks for linking.

Nik :)

Ellan said...

Oops, silly me.