Sunday, 11 April 2010

Strictly Writing Award and other bits of news

I tried, honestly SW folk, I did try to add a link to my last post before going on holiday, to advertise the Strictly Writing award. But blogger kept crashing when I clicked on Publish. Anyway, if you haven't already seen it do click on the link and take a look at the SW competition- prize £300, no entry fee, best story each month showcased on the site for readers to vote on. Sounds like a great opportunity!

Publication news - I had a story in My Weekly last week (dated 3rd April). First publication for ages, and there are no more in the pipeline which is a bit of a miserable state of affairs. Just as well the sun's out.

I've just been out to buy a My Weekly pocket novel - The Secret of Helena's Bay by my good friend Sally Q. It's the first of three she's sold to them recently. They publish 2 a month, guidelines here. If you like writing longer stories it's a great market. This afternoon I am likely to be found curled on a rug on the beach, with Sally's novella in hand.

(By the way, I had a fabulous holiday in the Lake District, had good weather on all but 2 days, walked up several mountains and, hurrah, my knees held out. Kids loved it too, and we've decided to make it an annual event every Easter.)

9 comments:

Bernadette said...

Glad you had a good time and congrats on the My Weekly story.

I read Sally's pocket novel yesterday in the sunshine and I thought it was fab.

Old Kitty said...

Hi

Awww Welcome Back womagwriter!!!

Glad you had fab time so fab that you're all going to make it an easter annual event! How fab is that?!

Yes - am in full writerly about to send story to the lovely SW people - hope I make the last 400 cos that's all they're reading or something - rules are too complicated for me but I think it's getting your story in asap for them to read! but I might be completely wrong! LOL!

Oh I must get My Weekly 3 April - unless they've all gone...!!! :-(
I hope not!!! (My next writing course assignment is researching the magazine/short story industry!! Sounds ever so good so need to read up on all these fab women's mags!).

Yay to you and Sally Q for your published successes!!

Take care
x

Caroline Hartin said...

Glad you had a great holiday. As a newbie to your blogsite I just wanted to say how great your blog is! Caroline x

Colette McCormick said...

Congratulations on the story and glad to hear that you had such a good time in the Lakes. I'm sure you feel better for it.

Suzanne Jones said...

Congratulations on the story. Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

Sally's pocket novel is on my shopping list - can't wait to read it.

X

LilyS said...

I'm off for my weekly visit to Smiths tomorrow so will be looking for Sally's pocket novel.

Glad you had a good time away. I also just wanted to let you know I awarded you The Beautiful Blogger Award.

Sally Quilford said...

Thanks for the plug, womag, and welcome home! And thanks Bernadette for your comments!

Sally Zigmond said...

So pleased you had a good time and hope you were able to recharge your batteries. Was the weather as good as it was elsewhere. It was glorious in Yorkshire--like summer.

Congratulations on the story publication. I'm sure there will be more!

SpiralSkies said...

Good news about My Weekly :0)

A pocket novel in the sun sounds sublime, can there be a better way to spend an afternoon?