Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Some snippets of news

1. With thanks to Keith - please note that the US magazine New Love Stories have changed their word-count requirements. Please send stories of between 2700 and 3800 words now. Payment still $300. I've heard of several people who've sold stories to this magazine since I posted its guidelines here, so it sounds like a good market.

2. With thanks to Tom - if you have a budding young writer in the family here's another fab competition for them, supported by Michael Morpurgo, no less. Check out the details at Wicked Young Writers.

3. With thanks to Geri - note that Woman's Weekly are soon to end their Book Club slot, and as a result will require 4-part serials as well as the usual 3-parters. So if you are a serial writer, make 'em longer!

Thank you all, please continue to send me anything you think should be posted on this blog.

Oh, and I nearly forgot. August Fiction Feast contains what will probably be my last womag publication for some time. I'm making the most of it, and when the payment comes, will probably blow it all on something totally frivolous!

13 comments:

Nan Sheppard said...

Be frivolous! I'm feeling a bit rebellious myself.

jenny wilson said...

be frivilous, i intend to buy a bike with my 1st payment, which i will only probably ride for a week or so lol

BigFatLion said...

Sorry, question: How do you find out when your stories are scheduled in FF?

I currently only know when the mag comes out.

womagwriter said...

Lion -same way as you. I subscribe to FF so when it arrived yesterday I flicked through and spotted my story. August FF should be in the shops today I think as they are usually a month ahead.

BigFatLion said...

Got it! Thanks.

You'd think they'd let you know, wouldn't you? That and pay you on time!

Colette McCormick said...

Make sure its something completely frivolous

marianh said...

Fiction Feast is the only magazine I know of that does not send its contributors a complimentary copy. Professional courtesy, really.

Anonymous said...

Fiction Feast is the only magazine I know of that does not send its contributors a complimentary copy. Professional courtesy, really.

marianh said...

I think my computer has developed a stammer.

yarana said...

i love reading it

scrappy'smum said...

Can anyone tell me how Fiction Feast pay? I have 'sold' three stories to them, the first having been in this months issue. I have signed a contract but they've never asked me for bank details. I noticed that some people are saying they that are quite slow in paying?

womagwriter said...

Scrappy's mum - FF pay on publication so the only one they owe you for is the one just published. They have been slow to pay lately and had some problems when they put in a new payments system. They used to pay by cheque so wouldn't need your bank details but I am not sure if this has changed with the new system.
If your story is in the August FF just out, expect payment in the next few weeks. If it was in the July FF, send a querying email (to Norah who will hopefully forward it) in case you've somehow been missed.

BigFatLion said...

I normally get paid by BACS by FF the month after publication. The SAME month as publication might be nice.