Sunday, 18 July 2010

Assorted...

Write from life
Lynne Hackles is running a competition to win a copy of the second edition of her How To book, Writing From Life. Go to her blog here and then follow the link to her website to find out how to enter. I have a copy of the first edition, and it's one of the most inspiring writing books I've come across. (To my shame I never got round to reviewing it on here. Shame on you, womagwriter. Shame!) Anyway, the new edition has a gorgeous purple cover, so even if you don't win the competition, it's worth buying to brighten up your bookcase, and liven up your writing.

More on Pocket Novels
Over at The Literary Project, Gemma Noon has handily pulled together Sally Q's top tips for writing pocket novels. Definitely worth taking a look. My Weekly are actively looking for new writers of pocket novels at the moment. Although the pay isn't huge, you can most likely sell the novel again to a large print publisher, then enjoy many years worth of public lending rights payments. Check out Sally's other posts on pocket novels, too.

Wacky site which might inspire you
I really like dipping into the How To Be A Retronaut site now and again. Latest post is 15 of the world's most wacky museums. How about a visit The International Banana Museum in California, anyone? There has to be a story idea in each of the museums featured...
I also particularly loved an older post, showing colour film of 1920s London.

3 comments:

Glynis Scrivens said...

I can highly recommend Lynne's book - well worth trying to win a copy

LondonLuce said...

Hello All,

I am looking for some help. I am in the baby step stages of submitting stories to magazines and have been lucky with an acceptance from my first round of submissions.

I am in the process of writing a story, which is turning out quite lengthy, so I feel it may be good for a serial.

I have read a couple of posts suggesting that you contact the magazine with the idea for the serial to see if they are interested.

I have 2 questions

1) Do you put together a synopsis of sorts to give them details? If so how detailed should it be and should you include the cliff hangers at the end of each section as well as the resolution to the problem that the character faces.

2) Is it worth submitting this at all if you have not been accepted by them previously?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give, this blog has been invaluable for me so far.

womagwriter said...

LondonLuce - I haven't tried serials myself, but check out the links on this post to see what those who have recommend
http://womagwriter.blogspot.com/search/label/Serials