Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Dialogue and dialect

I'm progressing well with my novel - the one I began in June and which made me stop writing womag stories and woefully neglect this poor blog (please keep sending me any news and articles related to womag writing!) In the novel, I want one of the characters to speak in a distinctive voice, and her accent is nineteenth century Sussex. So I've been delighted to find a whole raft of recent blog posts related to writing dialogue and dialect! I also found on the internet a book of Sussex dialect compiled in Victorian times. Fantastic!

Thought I should share these with you all - so here's a bunch of links.

Verily I say unto ye, here's how not to write historical or fantasy dialect courtesy of MD Lachlan
One for the Wurzels, from Sarah Duncan, and another from the same blog.
Um, er, the trick is don't write how you speak, innit, from Nicola Morgan
And the Dictionary of Sussex Dialect I mentioned, online here or to purchase as a proper book here.

5 comments:

Dissertation Writing service said...

This kind of information is very limited on internet. Nice to find the post related to my searching criteria. Your updated and informative post will be appreciated by blog loving people.

UK Dissertations

Dolores Doolittle said...

Thank you hugely, Womag, for very handy links, and Masses of success with your novel!

Sarah Duncan said...

Really useful to know what's out there - no one has any excuse for getting it wrong most-in-ginral.

Karen said...

Glad the novel's coming along well. Really interesting links :o)

Bluestocking Mum said...

Thank you as always for useful info.

Keep plugging at the novel.