Wednesday, 3 November 2010

Bored with womag?

I think, after a while of writing one form of fiction, most of us probably feel stale, run out of ideas and steam, become formulaic or simply get bored.

It's normal, it's understandable, but don't let it get you down. You're still a writer. The answer is, try writing something else for a while. Something not aimed at the womags. Enter a competition, try some poetry, write something for your blog, start a novel, try NaNoWriMo, or just write whatever comes into your head even if it is nonsense. No writing is ever wasted, in the way that no physical exercise is ever wasted. You're practising, building up muscles and gaining experience. It's worked for me, with the historical novel.

Emma Darwin has written a brilliant blog post on this - you can read it here.

3 comments:

Tickle said...

I agree. I write full-time for the mags and other writers ask if I ever reach burn-out. I haven't yet but I think that's because I divide up my working day so that I might work on a short story in the morning, some novel in the afternoon and slice in an article around either of those. By practising the various skills needed for the different forms it keeps me fresh.

Lydia said...

Not bored yet, but I agree with Tickle: variety is the spice and all that... I inersperse womag stories with work on my WIP and that seems to keep me fresh. Plus there are so many different kinds of womag story - I try to alternate between froth and emotion depending on my mood. x

cena123 said...

f I ever reach burn-out. I haven't yet but I think that's because I divide up my working day so that I might work on a short story in the morning, some novel in the afternoon and slice in an article around either of those. By practising the various skills needed for the different forms it keeps me fresh.