Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Writing Opportunities

Some writing ideas and challenges to help you through the long dark January days!

1. Write a story set in an airport, max 500 words, and send it to Emerald Writing Workshops along with an entry fee of 5 second class stamps, for the chance to win £75. Closing date 28th February, full details available here. This is a nice little writing competition, with a very reasonable entry fee for a decent prize. Previous winners and brief comments on the shortlisted stories are available on the website.

2. Write a How To article on any topic and send it here by the end of January for a chance to win £100. We're all experts on something or can pretend we are, so have a go!

3. If finance is your thing, contact Nick at Bozboz who is looking for finance writers for a new website he's setting up. I can just about manage to check my change - I leave all the money stuff to him indoors - but if you can tell a debt from a debenture then why not get in touch. He's looking for writers who can provide financial advice for the general consumer: saving and banking, credit loans, mortgages and homes - that sort of thing.

4. Or how about writing something to do some good - the latest call for contributions to a charitable anthology is 100 stories for Queensland. Details here and on the Facebook page here.


There you are, plenty to do, something for everyone and no need to sit around and whine!

6 comments:

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks for that, Womag! Might have a look at one or two.

Nan Sheppard said...

LOL, thanks! (I said LOL... shudder!) I need to get the NCT Spring newsletter out first, alas. But it's SUNNY!!! so all is well!

Dream it, then do it said...

Some brilliant links as usual. Thanks a lot, womagwriter.

Jane said...

I've just come across your fantastic blog after following a links trail. Thanks for all the tips, links and advice. I've only just started blogging as a very tentative first step on the road to taking my writing more seriously by encouraging me to write something, anything, every day. I'll be needing all the help I can get, so many thanks again for all your help here.

Sally Zigmond said...

Thanks, Womag. Just what I need to get me moving.

Anonymous said...

I really should check your site more often. i found about Queensland antholigy by accident.
Love
Linda Lewis