Saturday, 23 July 2011

Best is the best!

With thanks to Pat who alerted me to the return of fiction (for the summer at least!) to Best magazine. I've been out today and bought the current issue, dated 26th July, and am delighted to see it contains 6 pages of fiction - 3 stories. One is by novelist Erin Kelly who also introduces the fiction pages - with these words:

"It's so important that people read... We all need a bit more downtime, to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea and lose yourself in the plot."

I couldn't agree more! Except to add that the curling up can be done just as well with a fiction magazine.

Best are planning to include a coffee-break read in every issue for the summer. And maybe (I'm guessing) if the stories prove popular and they get some positive feedback, they might consider including a coffee-break tale every issue indefinitely...

Also, they announce a short story competition. First prize is £1000. You need to collect four Short Story Vouchers from the next few issues, and then complete the entry form which will be included in the September 6th issue. The winning story will be published in Best.

Other opportunities for writers of fillers include:


  • Cleaning tips - could earn you £50 - on a postcard to Amaze Aggie, 33 Broadwick St, London W1F 0DQ

  • Letters - £50 for star letter, £25 for all others printed - to best@natmags.co.uk
I've just flicked through the magazine today, but like the look of the mixture in it. I always did like Best - their real-life stories are good ones you can relate to (not the 'my husband ate my baby' type); there isn't too much celebrity gossip; there are good fashion/health/food articles (some great BBQ ideas in this issue!) I have 3 hours on a ferry to Cherbourg tomorrow, so guess how I'll pass the time?

Finally - PLEASE if you are a writer of womag fiction, DO go out and buy Best this summer! We must support our own markets!

18 comments:

Julie P said...

That's great news, Womag, and interesting. I shall buy a copy tomorrow.

Julie xx

Kath said...

Sounds like a step in the right direction. It would be lovely if they accepted submissions and didn't just stick to celebrity authors like some of the mags do.

The competition with the £1000 prize sounds a bit like the one The Lady used to run. I never ever saw any results announced but they used to use the non-winning entries for their regular fiction slot and pay £100.

HelenMHunt said...

Great news. I'll grab a copy next time I'm out.

Carolb said...

I'll certainly be buying a copy. I bought Best from the start until it changed, so this is really good news.

Old Kitty said...

Yay for BEST mag!!! Will start buying it too now!! Take care
x

Anonymous said...

Followed your advice Womag and nipped out and bought a copy of Best. It was one of my favourite magazines many years ago. Like Carol B I stopped buying it when it started to change. Let's all hope that Best gets a good response to the fiction and other magazines will follow suit.

Good wishes

Kath

Geraldine Ryan said...

Not sure I like the idea that they're furnishing their fiction slot with winning stories from a competition, though it's a start.

Jo said...

I heard this news from two different writers, one via email and the other via Facebook. I'm so pleased there's another outlet for short fiction. I hope other women's magazines follow this trend. I'll be buying a copy of Best tomorrow for sure! Thanks for the information!

marian h said...

I imagine there will be conditions for the short story competition; there usually are. Like not having publishedanything much before. And don't get me started on celebrity authors, Kath! I hate the way best selling novelists like to earn a bit of pin money writing short stories for magazines.

Maisie said...

I thought it was strange when Best decided to stop publishing fiction - especially when Pat Richardson had said in the Writer's Forum how much their readers like reading short stories.

I know there was a change in editor, so maybe she thought to get rid of the fiction but Best readers wrote in and demanded she reinstate fiction? Whatever happened it's good news for readers and writers. I hate magazines without fiction!

sallyjenkins said...

Have bought it and emailed the editor to say how pleased I am that fiction is returning to Best.
Maybe if we all email they'll get the message!

Heather said...

Thought the entry form was supposed to be in the 6th Sept issue? No sign of it ... or am I just going blind in my old age?

Heather said...

Update - it's in the issue that came out on the 6th, but dated the 13th!

Cathos said...

I've just got the issue of Best with the entry form in. I was expecting more details about word count and possibly a theme - but nothing. Guess I'll just go for around a 1,000 words. Short closing date too.

Anonymous said...

Hi All - I'm not expecting a yes to this question but thought I'd post anyway. Has anyone out there got a spare entry form for the Best short story competition? I've got one but my niece has collected all the tokens but forgot to pick up the Issue 36 with the form in. I've tried all the shops with out any luck and I'm now currently stalking the local doctor's and dentist's surgeries in the hope that I can find one for her! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

womagwriter said...

Hi Anon

Why not phone or email the mag and ask if they have any copies of that issue they might send? Offer to pay postage & cover price of course.

I did this once when I'd missed publication of one of my stories, and was sent the mag within a couple of days.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Womag - I'll share your idea with my niece and probably give them a ring myself. Otherwise I'll find myself giving her my entry form! Thanks again.

Heather said...

Does anyone know who won?