Thursday, 18 August 2011

Write On! competition - the winner!

Hi all

Firstly thank you all so much for all your wonderful entries for the Write On! competition. My son and I had great fun reading them. He made all the decisions, so if you didn't win and think you should have - don't blame me! Given that some of you entered several times I'm guessing you enjoyed writing these as well.

My son read them all twice, then rated them 1, 2 or 3. He discarded the 3s, read the 2s again then discarded them, then re-read the 1s and decided on a first, second and third. Then he slept on it, re-read the top 3 this morning but decided to stick with his decision. He'd scrawled 'I want to read this one' beside the winner. (And it's a real scrawl - he's left-handed and it was his left wrist he fractured. On the mend now, and cast off in 4 weeks. Thanks for all your good wishes for him.)

OK, so, drum roll......

the winner is......


Geoff, with his first entry, which I've reproduced below. Well done Geoff! You realise you're going to have to write this novel now...! Please email me using the link on this blog and let me know your contact details so I can pass them on to Adrian Magson who will send your prize.

2nd was RainbowLou with her entry which begins Who says boredom won't kill you?
3rd was Beverley with her entry which begins Former child progidy Max...

And Womagwriter's Honourable Mention goes to Elaine for her non-fiction book, 50 Things a Teenage Boy Should Never Tell His Mum. I need that book, Elaine, so I can see through all their ploys...

Well done to all.


Winning Entry
When he got the text, teenager Jack Stone prayed it was a joke:

DO AS I SAY OR THEY DIE!

Jack ignored the first instruction . . . and found out it was no joke at all. The bus smashed into the bus queue, killing them all instantly.

DO AS I SAY OR I KILL AGAIN!

In this action-packed thriller, Jack Stone races through the city, committing crimes to order for an unknown master. If he doesn't, his master kills.

Unless Jack can find out . . .

His Master's Secret.



11 comments:

beverley said...

Well done to the winner.
I'm still quite pleased with my third place though.
Thanks to your son.

RainbowLou said...

Well done Geoff, definitely sounds a gripping idea. Thanks to your son for putting me in 2nd place, made me smile. Hope the judging cheered him up a bit too.

Old Kitty said...

Yay!!! Well done Geoff - loved the blurb!! Congrats too to Beverly and RainbowLou!!! And yay for all those who entered! Take care
x

Christopher Broadbent said...

Thank you and your son for a very enjoyable competition. I'm glad to hear that he is doing better. Congratulations to the winners.

Adrian M said...

Well done, all entrants - and especially the top 3... and even especiallyer Geoff, the winner! I love short shorts - they make the brain work harder to economise on words, a skill which comes in handy for all types of writing, but most critically for short fiction and articles. I've got the book waiting, Geoff. Well done!

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Well done, Geoff - I liked that one too!

JO said...

Well done, Geoff. And if Elaine writes her book, please tell us - you aren't the only one who would like a copy of that.

Elaine Everest said...

Well done Geoff, a spiffing tale and thank you Kath for organising such a lovely diversion on a week filled with so many rejections for fiction writers!

I'm off to see if I can think of 48 more ideas for teenage boys...

PS I'll be buying Adrian's book.

Bernadette said...

I really liked that one, too.

Well done, Geoff!

Caroline said...

Well done Geoff! Glad to hear your son is on the mend. Caroline x

Geoff said...

Wow! Thanks for all your lovely comments . . . I guess I will have to start work on that idea now!

All the best to your son and thanks for organising the comp.