Saturday, 29 October 2011

I've fallen in love...

... with Wimborne Minster, the dear little town only half an hour's drive from me, which held its first ever Literary Festival today

... with Malcolm of Gullivers Bookshop who organised the event, and indeed with the bookshop itself

... with Martin Brown who illustrates the Horrible Histories, whose energetic talk kicked off the festival. There were lots of kids in the audience for this one. Everyone was given a drawing pad and pen, and he had us all drawing faces, and giving them expressions to make them come alive. Well I'm used to giving my written characters voices and actions to make them come alive, but it was great fun trying the same thing with rough cartoon sketches!

... with the books of Elizabeth Cooke, Imogen Parker and Natasha Solomons . All three authors spoke brilliantly about their writing careers and their books. I already had a couple of their books but ended up buying several more, as you do. My TBR pile is ridiculously high now.

All in all I had a great day out. Three members of my writing class were there too, so we had a lovely lunch together, following which I am sorely tempted to buy this .

A blog reader was there too, and somehow recognised me - Excuse me, but are you womagwriter? she said. My fame spreads. Hello Beryl - I said I'd give you a mention!

Hopefully this will become an annual event. I'll definitely go next year. I had such a lovely day - these local events are definitely worth supporting. I've come back inspired to write more, read more and go to more literary events. Wish there were more hours in the day!

The lovely Malcolm also promised to give Tears and Laughter and Happy Ever After a push when it is published. Ebook coming in November, paperback early next year. I'll post more on this later, you can be sure of that!

11 comments:

Beryl said...

Thanks, Womagwriter! I really enjoyed the day too.
I was staggered when Imogen Parker said she had 72 characters and 12 POV's in her book - imagine keeping up with that lot!
It was great to meet you and put a face to the name.
See you next year!

womagwriter said...

Hi Beryl - yes that's a huge number of characters and POVs to keep up with. I bought that trilogy so will enjoy seeing how she managed them all! It was good to meet you too.

Debs Carr said...

Thanks for telling us about it. It sounds like a fun festival to attend.

sallyjenkins said...

Sounds great - wish I lived near enough to attend.

Bernadette said...

That does sound lovely.

Anonymous said...

Hi Womagwriter & Beryl

Hate to show my ignorance here but what is a POV as in Imogen Parker's book? Please illuminate me. Ta

Good wishes

Kath

Geraldine Ryan said...

Anonymous (Kath),
POV is Point of View.

Kat said...

How on earth did Beryl recognise you? Did you have a big badge saying 'I'm the one who writes Womagwriter's blog' or something?

Lol! Sounds like an interesting day :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Geraldine. I'm not up on the writing lingo at all. Good wishes
Kath

Patsy said...

Sounds like a great experience.

womagwriter said...

Kat - no I wasn't wearing a badge! I posted a couple of weeks back about the festival and said I might take my sons to the first talk then stay myself for the rest of the day. I think Beryl spotted me with boys for the Martin Brown talk, then me without boys at the next talk, and took a punt!