Friday, 4 November 2011

Happy Birthday Woman's Weekly!

WW is 100 years old. The issue now out in the shops is the centenary issue, and contains a facsimile of the first ever WW, dated 4th November 2011! It's a real collector's edition - get out there and buy it, everyone!

In 1911 the magazine included:


  • cartoons showing why 'a woman's work is never done'

  • lace and crochet instructions

  • the first parts of two serials

  • a full page advertorial for Antipon, a fat-reducing medicine

  • 'pin money pages' - readers' recipes

  • real love stories - readers are invited to send in their stories of how they met their partners, and all those published receive 'a charming little jewel-box'

  • several dress patterns for women and children

  • 'I agree, do the housekeeping yourself!' - a story of how the complaining husband managed the home

  • an article 'How to become a nurse'

So - not too far removed from the kind of thing you'd expect in a current magazine!


As well as the facsimile, there's also reprints of problem page letters and ads from the past century, and lots of features comparing 'then and now'.


It's a lovely magazine - loads in it, especially for history lovers like myself. With enormous thanks to my lovely mum for alerting me to this very special edition.


14 comments:

Old Kitty said...

I've got my copy and I'm just slightly miffed that I won't see the continuation of the story "That's my child"!LOL!!!

Take care
x

Anonymous said...

It is totally awesome, and should make us women very glad that we are born in modern times - the problem pages are particularly poignant. Typists in the 50s being advised to remain unobtrusive in the officer - perlease! Lovely orignal mag, though. I bet women 100 years ago were thrilled to finally have a publication just for them.

Sam

Anonymous said...

Or rather, 'office'!

womagwriter said...

LOL Sam, though unobtrusive typists in the officer sounds like a prompt for a story...

I think The Lady had been around a while by 1911 but that catered for an entirely different type of woman and was full of small ads placed by women needing staff to run their country estates.

Karen said...

I'll get a copy today. I bet the problem pages were a bit different!

Geraldine Ryan said...

Yesterday Diane Kenwood, Editor of the magazine and Dr Claire Rose, a social historian, were in discussion on the Today programme about the Centenary issue, how women's lives had changed and how, ultimately, the magazine's remit to be a guide to women in the home, hadn't changed all that much.

Fascinating discussion - here's the link"-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9631000/9631585.stm

Anonymous said...

LOL, Kath!

The medical letter page was interesting, as well. A tsp of Vaseline to sort a cold out? No!

The ad regarding bust enlargement made me chuckle - maybe Jordan isn't a sign of OUR times afterall...

Sam

the writing pad said...

I heard about this on TV this morning - but my local Co-op seems to have run out of copies already ...
Thanks so much for the overview of the contents - at least I know what I might have missed if I never manage to get a copy!

Debs Carr said...

Sounds wonderful. I'll have to get a copy today.

womagwriter said...

Karen, did you write on WW's facebook page that you'd like to see problem pages of years gone by? If so, they've quoted you!

Bernadette said...

I got my copy today. It looks fascinating and I can't wait to read it properly, so it looks like hubby will be getting his own dinner tonight!
(Not sure how well that comment would have gone down in 1911!!)

little lamb said...

What a lovely couple of hours reading. Loved the man with the mass of hair after using the solution and the cream that makes you thin. So many memories.
Congratulations Woman's Weekly. It took me back..

Patsy said...

I didn't get that issue (usually only get the fiction specials) but you've convinced me I should - hope I haven't left it too late.

Maggie May said...

I'm definitely going to send for the little girl's dress pattern to make my 3 year old granddaughter that pretty dress. Lots of memories in the mag.