Saturday, 31 December 2011

Happy New Year!

It's a grey and murky New Year's Eve down here on the south coast, but I'm sure tonight will be sparkly and merry at my neighbour's New Year's Eve party. While I wait until it's time to get ready to go out, I thought I'd come up with some new year's resolutions and look back on last year's.

Last year, my writing resolutions were to complete a first draft of my novel by the end of June, and finish the edits by the end of the year. I'm delighted to say I achieved both goals, and in December sent my novel to a literary appraisal agency to get a critique of the whole thing. I'm still waiting to hear back - no doubt there'll be a lot of work to do on the novel before I can start sending it to agents or publishers.

My non-writing resolutions for 2011 were to keep running every week if possible and increase my distances until I could run 10km. By March I was able to run 10km, so that resolution held too!

So, what are my aims for 2012?



  1. Lose 10kg by the end of the year. Not by following any strict diet but by changing my eating (and drinking!) habits.


  2. Keep up the exercise - swim most weeks, run most weeks, try out a Zumba class.


  3. With hubby, do up the living room.


  4. Write a story a fortnight until the end of March, and get them sent out.


  5. Develop my idea for a new novel, and start writing it. By the end of the year, be about half way through the first draft.


Did you achieve your aims for 2011? What are you targetting in 2012?



Happy New Year to all my blog readers, and may 2012 bring you everything you are hoping for!



22 comments:

the writing pad said...

Happy New Year to you too and thanks for all the great posts and invaluable info during 2011 - good luck with all your aims :-)

Patsy said...

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Well done on achieving your goals for 2011, Womag.
With the help of this blog I too have achieved many of my writing goals for 2011. Thanks. May I take this opportunity to wish you and all who post on this blog a Very Happy New Year. Good wishes, Kath (aka Kate Hogan)

Teresa Ashby said...

Happy New Year and well done on those resolutions :-)

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Well done on getting your book out for appraisal! Great resolutions. Mine is to finish as much as possible and send it out.

A very Happy New Year!

Rena George said...

Happy New Year...with thanks for all the wonderful posts on this blog.

Old Kitty said...

Happy new year to you wonderful womagwriter!

All the best with your writerly goals and I hope you hear back soon about your wip!! Good luck and all the best!!

Take care
x

Bernadette said...

And a happy and successful year to you too! xx

Debbie said...

Happy New Year.

Diane Fordham said...

Well done on 2011 and may 2012 exceed all your expectations. HAPPY NEW YEAR all!

Maria said...

You did good! Well done.

Last year, I got more involved in photography, and walking. I also did NaNoWriMo, and managed to finish a very rough first draft.

So my goal is to start, and make some sense of draft two by the end of March.

Good luck with your goals

Maria

Kath said...

Happy New Year, Womagwriter. May all your projects be successful. xx

Maggie May said...

Happy New Year and thanks for a very interesting and informative blog. My aims are just to write more, and hopefully have some successes.

beverley said...

Happy New Year!

Many thanks for the time and your efforts with this blog and I look forward to your invaluable posts/comments/recommendations in 2012.

Debs Carr said...

Happy New Year.

Ihope 2012 is a great year and that you achieve all your resolutions.

Karen said...

Fingers crossed for your appraisal, and a very Happy New Year.

I can highly recommend Zumba by the way - great fun :o)

Kath said...

Yes, I can recommend Zumba too. Good for your whooping skills as well as your co-ordination. xx

Lydia said...

Happy New Year! Didn't you do well in 2011? AND you still found time to write great short stories - well done you!
Hope 2012 brings you whatever you wish for.x

LindaK said...

That is all very impressive! I like the 'story a fortnight' idea! Wishing you all the best for 2012

Olivia Ryan said...

Happy New Year Womag, and if you manage to achieve all those resolutions I'll be very impressed! You did very well last year. I don't usually make them now, as I always forget what they are by the end of January (I know, I should've written 'em down but maybe I WANTED to forget them!). This year I've vaguely promised myself to get back to my pre-slipped-disc routine of a half-hour walk on the days I don't go swimming. I'll try to remember! Writing goals? I'd like to say Find A New Publisher (I don't have one any more). But as that's out of my hands, meanwhile I'll continue self-publishing on Amazon for Kindle, and be grateful for the opportunity to do so! Sheila Norton aka Olivia Ryan

Geraldine Ryan said...

Happy New Year, Womag!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and good luck with your goals!


Sam