Saturday, 9 June 2012

Bits and pieces

It's been a while since I did one of these posts, and I am aware that lately I have become a Very Bad Blogger. Blame my new novel which is taking all my spare time. I'm about half way through the first draft, so I will continue to be a VBB for some time to come. Sorry about that.

Anyway, here are some interesting snippets for you to follow up.

1.  If you're considering submitting stories to the US magazine, Woman's World (guidelines on this blog are still correct), then do go and take a look at Kate Willoughby's blog. She reads the magazine every week and analyses the stories in them. She's sold quite a few to them herself, so has a very good idea of what they take and what they don't. With thanks to Rena George for reminding me of this link.

2.  If you write children's stories, here's a possible market for you. The Knowonder website aims to help literacy in children by providing great stories they can read every day. There's a small payment for stories published, too.

3.  For all you pocket novelists out there, go and take a look at Sally's blog where she has posted the latest guidelines for My Weekly pocket novels. There's a lovely colourful flyer - it won't copy too well to Blogger so please go to Sally's blog and download it from there. My Weekly want novels in the Murder, Modern and Medical categories. I guess you could have a contemporary story in which a doctor murders his patients then falls in love with a nurse to cover all the bases... Looks to me like they're trying to muscle in on the Mills & Boon market a little. Well why not? And don't forget if you sell them a pocket novel, you can usually sell the same novel again to the large print publisher, Ulverscroft, then happily receive PLR payments for many years to come. As long as PLR is not scrapped, of course - talking of which, have you signed the petition yet?

4. Do you ever feel as though there's too much to do and not enough time? Well, I have the answer. Buy a copy of Peter Jones's book, How To Do Everything And Be Happy. It's just been re-released as a second edition, after selling 10,000 copies of the first edition. Not bad for a self-published book! I have a copy, personally signed by the author no less. He's a lovely chap, and the book is full of great advice on how to enjoy life to the full. There's a short interview with him on Della's blog. For today (and I don't know how much longer), the book is free to download to Kindle, or buy an audio version (read by Peter) or a paper version.

(The book I really need to read, is Peter's second, coming soon, entitled How To Eat Loads And Stay Slim. It is co-authored by Della Galton. You can read the opening chapter here.)

Right, that's me done. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.


11 comments:

Diane Fordham said...

Hi Womag, thanks for sharing all that info... still smiling at the last one. It does get difficult at times keeping up with the writing, the blogging, research, the administration side etc etc :-)

Old Kitty said...

Have a great weekend too womagwriter! The sun's out at least!

Thanks for all these links and info! Take care
x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I think I need that second book too!

Thanks for the links.

sallyjenkins said...

Thanks for the news that Peter's book is on Kindle for free. Just been and downloaded it!

Vikki (www.the-view-outside.com) said...

I can definitely second the recommendation for Peters book. I attended a couple of workshops he did recently....excellent :) It's down to Peter that I've finally started editing my novel lol

Xd

Della Galton said...

Where did the sun go. Thanks for all of this info, and we promise that how to eats loads and stay slim will be here very soon. :)

Abigail said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abigail said...

Sounds like you're a busy blogger, not a very bad one!
Do you have any advice on your blog about how to format a short story you are submitting, or does it vary from magazine to magazine?
Thank you for all your shared wisdom! It's much appreciated.

Dolores Doolittle said...

Thank you loads, Womag for all usful stuff when you're so busy - hope the novel is going wondrously!

Maggie May said...

Good luck with the novel and thanks for all the newsy tit bits when you are so busy.

insomnia at 8dpo said...

audacious therefore the pretty web log insomnia information,insomnia blog,insomnia lounge dyckman,insomnia theater,insomnia zelda,insomnia va rating,insomnia in early pregnancy,insomnia definition