Thursday, 7 June 2012

Public Lending Right petition

Please take a look at this petition to protect the organisation which handles Public Lending Right in the UK, and sign it if you agree with it.

Public Lending Right is money collected from libraries for each loan of a book. An author whose books are in libraries registers with PLR, and will then get a once a year payout, the amount depending on how often their books are borrowed. It's an important source of income for many writers, but now it seems the government want to scrap it.

Please share this with your writerly and other contacts, thank you!

14 comments:

Old Kitty said...

I've so signed!! Hopefully it'll be another of their u-turns! I do know how important PLR to authors! Have passed it on! Take care
x

Teresa Ashby said...

Thank you for posting this - I have signed :-)

Rena George said...

Thanks for the alert. I'm more than happy to sign this one.

JO said...

Done!

Maggie May said...

I'm very happy to sign. Just a query though - what happens if the author is dead?

Debbie said...

Just signed it. :)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Have signed!

Geraldine Ryan said...

Have signed! Good idea to draw attention to this, Womag!

spreadsheetgirl said...

I'm confused about this. It looks like it's being shunted to another department and not actually being scrapped? Is that right?

womagwriter said...

I don't think they're actually scrapping PLR payments, but scrapping the organisation which collects and distributes them, despite the fact the organisation is efficiently run within its budget. If moved to another department there'd be a danger that the payments are not collected so efficiently, which would be a nail in the coffin for the scheme as a whole. Is the way I understand it.

robin hood said...

The stuff you are writing blows out my mind.
online lending

robin hood said...

The stuff you are writing blows out my mind.
online lending

Frencis Merchant said...

I would be flattened if all websites gave articles like that.Pay Day Loans

Song Mastering said...

I'd like to take the power of thanking you for that specialized guidance I've constantly enjoyed viewing your blog.instant loans no credit checks