Friday, 16 November 2012

Submissions quick reference

Here's a list, just for Kathryn but I'll allow my other blog readers to use it too ;-) of the magazine addresses/email addresses for submissions. There are quite a few posts for some of the magazines on this blog now, and the submission addresses are becoming buried. If you're new to womag writing, please also refer to the main magazine guidelines for lengths and current requirements under the relevant link on this blog, but for a speedy look-up, refer to this post.

My Weekly: Please send stories by email to lsmith@dcthomson.co.uk or by post to: The Commissioning Fiction Editor, My Weekly, D.C.Thomson & Co. Ltd., 80 Kingsway East, Dundee DD4 8SL. NB Only submit to My Weekly if you've already been published by them.

Take A Break & Fiction Feast: Submit by post only to Norah McGrath, Fiction Editor, Fiction Feast, 24-28 Oval Road, London NW1 7DT.

People's Friend: Submit by post to The People’s Friend, D.C.Thomson & Co., Ltd., 80 Kingsway East, Dundee, DD4 8SL. Phone: 01382 462276. 
Email (for queries only, not submissions) peoplesfriend@dcthomson.co.uk 

The Weekly News: E-mail only, to jfinlay@dcthomson.co.uk

Woman's Weekly: By post to Fiction Department, Woman’s Weekly, IPC Media, Blue Fin Building, 110 Southwark Street, London, SE1 0SU. NB If they've bought something from you, you're allowed to submit by email. You'll have the relevant email so I won't put it here!  

Yours: By post to Short Stories, Yours Magazine, Bauer Media, Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Peterborough, PE2 6EA  Or by email to: yours@bauermedia.co.uk (Subject: Short Story Submission)

Ireland's Own: Email: sean.nolan@peoplenews.ie
Or by post to:  Ireland’s Own, Channing House, Rowe Street, Wexford, Ireland.

That's Life (Australia): Email submissions to fastfiction@pacificmags.com.au

You (South Africa): Email: cvanzyl@media24.com
Or by post to YOU, PO Box 7167, Roggebaai 8012 marked for the attention of C van Zyl.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this.

I would love to know if anyone has ever managed to get any response at all from You (South Africa). I tried and tried and tried to make contact with them a few years ago, and it was like dropping things into a bottomless well. Absolutely no response to submissions or queries about submissions, ever. I even wrote to them an old-fashioned on-paper letter ... nothing.

Tara

Patsy said...

Thanks for the update.

Tara, I have had responses from YOU. Usually there's nothing, but I have had 2 acknowledgements, 2 rejects and 1 acceptance over the last few years.

Fay Knowles said...

Many thanks, womagwriter. This quick reference is most helpful.

Best wishes,
Fay Knowles,
Nassau, Bahamas
bahamaswriter.blogspot.com

Janice said...

Thanks, Womag!

If only you'd been around when I started writing short stories - you could have saved me hours of letter writing and pounds in postage. Haha.

Madalyn Morgan said...

Thank's for the information. I enjoy the womagwriter's blog. It's always interesting and helpful.

TracyFells said...

This quick handy list is really useful - will be keeping this! Thank you :)

aw said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. Up to date information is not always easy to find.
Do The Weekly News still send an automated email on receipt of contributions as I recently sent a story but had no reply. I even checked my spam filter but nothing at all.I've always had an acknowledgement in the past. I have checked and I did use the email you quote here.
Ann

paul said...

Re. You magazine.
I had 8 stories accepted and then nothing-for no apparent reason. I keep trying to re-engage but get no response. Strange

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks for the update - I've linked to your post from my blog!

Tickle said...

I've had lots of acceptances from YOU. They were one of my best markets and last year Cecilia asked me to offer them a new psuedonym as they were printing a lot close together. But I last sold a story to them in November and nothing since.
All my submissions (she has about 20 currently) have been ignored - neither accepted nor rejected.
So I've no idea what's going on there.
The mag is still printed as a friend of mine was in S Africa recently and bought a copy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments and info. on the You mystery. Looks like they are very bad about responding, but it's worth keeping on submitting, just in case - after all, it's quick to do and free via email.

Tara

Anonymous said...

Hi. I too have submitted several stories to YOU magazine but have yet to receive a response. What sort of stories do they take when they are communicating with people? Are any of the stories people have had published along the lines of the stories in any of our UK mags and if so which ones? I've had a similar experience with one of the Scandinavian mags. I'll stick with the ones I know and trust, I think. KH

Kath said...

Thanks for this, Kath, very useful.

Ann - you do usually get an automated response from TWN but not invariably.

Anonymous said...

I've just found your great site, thank you.

As these magazines take so long to respond, does anyone send simultaneously (to those mags that crossover style-wise)?

If so, what if you are in the lucky position that 2 wanted your story? What is the etiquette? If you said someone else has taken up the story is this going to affect your future chances with the unlucky mag?

womagwriter said...

Hi Anon

NEVER send the same story to 2 mags at the same time. If both wanted it, and you had to tell one they couldn't have it after all, you would not be very popular at all.

It's ok to send more than one story at a time to the same mag, though on't inundate them and one story per envelope/email. But you'll need to wait for the response before resubmitting a story anywhere else.

Helen said...

I'm new to the short story market and just sold my first story to TAB last week, but can I just give 2 tips that I have already discovered in my journey of Womag writing...

1. Never chase - each time I have chased a story (after waiting 3 months)it has been immediately rejected.

2. Don't send more than one story per envelope. Each time I have sent 2 stories together one of them has got lost and that was with different magazines.Very frustrating when you take the time to write and post a story and they lose it.

Hope this helps.