Thursday, 30 May 2013

People's Friend Blog

I've mentioned this here before, but it's worth a reminder. The People's Friend runs a lovely blog - here. The most recent post is all about how artist David Young brings writer Pat Posner's characters to life with his illustrations. Pat's been writing a series of stories based in a prefab village after the war - bit like a magazine soap opera.

One thing I love about The People's Friend is how hard they try to bring their readers and writers together. This blog is a great example of that, as is their lively Facebook page. If you're on Facebook, 'Like' the page to join in the daily discussions of everything from prunes to popstars with plenty of Scottish weather thrown in for good measure!



7 comments:

Wendy's Writing said...

I find their blog really interesting, Kath - I will definitely have a read about the illustrations to Pat's illustrations to Pat's stories. One of the most exciting things about writing for The Friend is waiting to see what illustrations they have used. My favourite was the illustration to my story 'Just a Day Tripper' where they had captured the two women on the bus perfectly. I am not a Facebooker so had to ask Pat to make a comment for me!

Wendy's Writing said...

As you can see, I wrote that in a rush - sorry (good job it wasn't a story submission!)

Pat Posner said...

Love "magazine soap opera", Kath!

I feel so lucky the PF team picked David Young to illustrate my prefab village stories.

All the PF illustrators are good, though; their artwork really adds to the stories and, I'm sure add hugely to the readers'enjoyment of The Friend.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

It's a lovely post on the blog - just read it from FB!

Fiona said...

I'm so glad you mentioned these as I had no idea they existed.
I write mainly nonfiction but I long to one day have a short story published in The People's Friend, simply for nostalgia value. My grandmother read it, and even now, when I am visiting family back home in the UK, I buy a copy every week.

Kate said...

Thanks - I never knew there was a blog!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is a wonderful, well-managed FB page.

Sam