Saturday, 28 September 2013

Novels and How Tos

This blog's been a bit quiet lately and I'm aware I've only posted links or guest posts for some time now. I thought you might be interested in what I've been working on recently, and what's become of the novels I've mentioned here before. So here's an update.

I've written two complete novels. The first was the one based on my family history research, and featured the lovely Henry who took over this blog on one of Sally Q's Blog Takeover days. I wrote and edited that novel, got some professional feedback on it, and then put it aside, knowing that it wasn't really commercial. That's the problem with basing fiction on real life - the facts get in the way of a good story.

I then wrote another novel - a time-slip one with two linked stories in different time period unfolding in alternate chapters. This also has a genealogical angle but is entirely fictional. The 1-line 'elevator pitch' for it is: What happens if, when researching your family tree, you discover not a metaphorical skeleton in a closet but an actual skeleton, buried in the garden of a house once occupied by your ancestors?

I loved writing this second novel, and am now trying to find an agent for it. There's been a smattering of interest - two agents asked for the full manuscript - but no takers as yet. I live in hope.

And now I'm planning another novel, also time-slip, with a contemporary and a World War Two story unfolding side by side. I also have an idea for a 4th novel...

In between, I've written a second How To book: Short Stories and How to Write Them. This follows the same format as my Ghost Stories book - ie it is part anthology and part how to. I'm waiting for my son to complete a cover design for it, and it needs a final proof-read, then it'll be ready for publication. Don't worry, I'll let you all know when it's ready!

I'm vaguely planning to use CreateSpace to produce a print version of the two How To books in one volume. They're both a bit short to be worth printing by themselves, but will work combined into one. What do you think - would you buy it?

8 comments:

Wendy's Writing said...

You have been so busy Kath - no wonder you've had guest posts (thank you again for that) - I'm seriously impressed. Good luck with finding an agent for your book and if you have trouble timelining your timeslip novel you know where to go!

Sally Zigmond said...

Yes, indeed. It only goes to show that writing is a bit like a swan. People tend to see only the finished product - the serene quiet part on the surface - and think you're doing nothing much when you're not visible. No-one sees all the hard work and the messy stuff (plugging away at the keyboard for months on end, redrafting etc and even rejection) underneath without which nothing happens. I wish you all the very best.

Helen Yendall said...

Kath, good for you, you have been VERY busy! And all those ideas for novels! I am impressed. YES, I would buy anything! (OK, not anything - not your shopping list!). I enjoyed your ghost book and I'll definitely be buying your short story book when it's out and any novel you publish, I will be first in the queue. You've been so generous on this blog with your advice, info and support. I definitely owe you one! thank you!

Samantha Tonge said...

Goodness does sound like you have been busy Kath - and well done with the interest you've had in the novel. Keep us posted and best of luck!

Sam

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Love the sound of that time-slip - the kind of story I enjoy reading. Good luck with the agents.

parlance said...

I'll look forward to reading the novels.

I loved your 'how to' book about ghost stories, and will buy the new one when it's published, but since I already have the first one, I don't think I'd buy a hard copy of the two of them together. But I'd recommend it everyone I was talking to if they didn't already have the ghost story one.

Rena George said...

I wouldn't worry about that first novel not being commercial. It was the foundation for everything you've written since - and what a wonderful, valuable family record it must make.
Ditto all the good luck wishes above for finding that agent for your second novel. Rx

Della G said...

Well, I would buy and recommend a hard copy because they are excellent presents for friends. :)