Tuesday, 19 August 2014

How To books and a new online magazine

Compass Books are releasing a couple of new titles of interest to writers:  Fiction - the Art and Craft by Colin Bulman, a retired university creative writing lecturer; and Creating Meaningful Dialogue by Suzanne Ruthven who has written or ghosted many books as well as having been editor of The New Writer. I don't know about you, but every now and again I feel the need to read a how to book. I learn something new from every one, and some of them are so inspiring they leave me buzzing. There is always more to learn about this writing lark!

Kishboo is a new electronic quarterly magazine, which you can read online, on an Android phone or on a Kindle. It will run a rolling short story competition, for stories up to 2000 words. Entry fee £3, and top prize £50 each quarter. Owners Sharon and Keith are preparing the first, Winter 2014, edition now, so to be in at the start do go and look at the website! As well as the competition there are opportunities for article writers and quiz compilers - they need plenty to fill each issue.

4 comments:

Sally Zigmond said...

I've just emerged blinking from working on my WIP and having a short break to catch up on my favourite blogs. And blow me, I now want to order the two How To titles you mentioned and check out the new online mag. Like you, although I've been writing fiction for a long time (Is it really almost 20 years?) and own many books on writing. I always find something that helps. Now, it's time I went back to my latest novel which is still not finished.

Patsy said...

I agree there's always more to learn or a new way to look at something.

Wendy's Writing said...

Funnily enough your 'how to Write Ghost Stories' was one of the first how to books I read.

Tricia Maw said...

I did a course in Lanzarote in Jan and used Della Galton's How To Write & Sell Short Stories as my guide - with her permission, of course! It's a brilliant book.