Wednesday, 6 August 2014

The Weekly News - submissions

With thanks to Alan and Patsy who forwarded this to me. Many of you who regularly submit to The Weekly News will already have seen this email, but for the rest of you, and because I am often asked for advice on whether to chase or not - I will reproduce Jill's email here. Hope she doesn't mind but it'll get the word out!

Owing to a fair amount of enquiries about stories previously sent to me, I've decided to send an email to everyone who's submitted in order to make sure any loose ends are tied up.
Obviously, it is a broad sweep and I'm not necessarily a fan of standard emails, but in the circumstances, I think this works best.
So, if you have sent me any stories between June, 2013 and the end of June, 2014 and haven't heard from me about an acceptance, then please take this as a non-acceptance of your story and feel free to submit elsewhere.
For anything sent from April, 2014 onwards, there is a now a 12-week turnaround. If your story is to be accepted for publication, you'll hear from me within 12 weeks of submission. If you haven't heard within that timeframe, again, please take this a non-acceptance, leaving you free to submit elsewhere.
I am aware this is a million miles away from the sort of responses I sent when I first started, but time constraints and other aspects of my job meant I only have 3.5 hours each week to devote to fiction in its entirety and I have to streamline things to make sure people aren't waiting around as many are right now.
I hope it means things move a lot more smoothly and quickly.
Many thanks for your patience and loyalty to The Weekly News - it's very much appreciated.
Jill Finlay,
The Weekly News.



This is really helpful - we now all know where we stand now. Although it's wonderful to get personal responses even when it's a 'no', with only 3.5 hours a week to spend on fiction it's perfectly understandable that can no longer be done. 

4 comments:

Celia said...

I heard this on the jungle drums, but thanks to you as well. Poor Jill must be absolutely inundated.

Sue Blackburn said...

Thank you for that. At least we know where we stand now.

Patsy said...

This seems like the best that can be done with so little time. At least we know where we stand and won't need to wait indefinitely for an answer.

Colette McCormick said...

Jill's responses were lovely even the rejections but this in completely understandable.