Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Tethered by Letters

This blog is on the mailing list for a few writing related press releases. Here's an example of something we recieved recently -

Tethered by Letters' Spring 2015 Literary Contest
We are currently accepting submissions for our short story contest (1,000 to 7,500 words, open genre), flash fiction contest (55, 250, or 500 words), and poetry contest (max of three pages per poem). TBL strives to publish writers with engaging stories, vivid characters, and fresh writing styles. All winners will be published in F(r)iction. All finalists will receive free professional edits on their submission and be considered for later publication. The prizes are $500 (USDA) for the short story winner, $150 (USDA) for the flash fiction winner, and $150 (USDA) for the poetry winner. Winners will be announced publicly in August. Multiple entries accepted. International submissions welcome. Good luck to all our authors!
Deadline: May 31, 2015
Prize: $500 for Short Story, $150 for Flash Fiction, $150 for Poetry
Entry Fee: $15 per Short Story; $7 per Flash Fiction OR $15 for three Flash Fictions; $7 per poem OR $15 for three poems
Contact Info: Joe Reinis, jreinis@tetheredbyletters.com
Would you like me to pass on anything which might be of interest to writers in general - or to keep the blog just for womag information and news? You can answer in the comments, via the poll I've (hopefully) set up, or both.

btw, if you are interested in writing competitions, you can find details of free to enter ones every week on my other writing blog.

I couldn't find anything to illustrate the post title, but maybe we could combine it with weathered letters to make a literary tongue twister?

9 comments:

Dolores Doolittle said...

Thanks Patsy. Tethered by Letters looks an intriguing organisation, and I do like the idea of trying Flash Fiction for a change.

As for your question, I hesitate because loads of others here have followed far longer than I have, but I think my own preference would be to keep concentrating on women`s mags please.

Will keep keenly reading whatever, thank you...

Maria said...

Thank you for sharing Patsy.

I think I'd prefer just to hear Womag news, and conversation surrounding the craft of writing for them. Perhaps some tips for beginners, and there must be lots of succesful woman writers out there who could swap news, and tips? Maybe they could be interviewed by your good self on how they got into it, and how long it took to crack the market etc?

Kath McGurl said...

I never thought of interviewing other womag writers - that's a fab idea and something I'd enjoy reading too!

Patsy said...

@ Delores - everyone's opinion is welcomed. Thanks for yours.

@ Maria and Kath - I like the idea of interviews too. Now, just need a few victims ... oops, that's not how to spell volunteers is it?

Helen Yendall said...

At the risk of sounding big headed..I'd be happy to be interviewed as a 'womag writer', Patsty-Kath (moderately successful!). Just send me the questions if you want me! (oh, I'm so easy!!) helenyendall@yahoo.co.uk

Helen Yendall said...

Oops, that's not got me off to a good start. Patsy, sorry, didn't mean to call you Pat-sty! x

Patsy said...

He he, Helen - at least you didn't say spelling was your strong point! Actually for such a short name it does seem to attract a lot of variations and typos.

Thanks for the offer. I'll start thinking up fiendish questions and will be in touch.

HelenMWalters said...

The USP of this blog has always been its focus on women's magazine writing, so I'd be inclined to stick mainly with that. That's not to say you can't have the odd snippet on something else every now and then!

I'd be happy to be interviewed as well if that would help. (Think you have my email address!)

Patsy said...

Thanks, Helen - for your thoughts and for the offer. I'll be in touch.