The image in last week's post was of the tracks made by seals. Probably bigger ones than this cutie, although he/she was part of the group who'd been hauled out there earlier in the day.
Womag news
The People's Friend fiction editor, Lucy Crichton asked me to pass on the following -
"After nearly 39 years with DC Thomson - seventeen of those years on 'The People's Friend' - Tracey Steel will be retiring on Friday, October 2nd.
We're wishing Tracey all the very best for this new, exciting chapter! And we're delighted to be welcoming Fiction Journalist, Lucy Dewar to the Fiction Team.
Tracey's authors will receive an email with more information, and Lucy will be handling Tracey's authors, poets and pocket novel authors as of October 5th. "
I'm really hoping at least one of her authors will be called Lucy, so she sends out an email saying something along the lines of, Dear Lucy, I liked your story, and have sent it on to Lucy. Best wishes Lucy. I don't know why that should amuse me, but it does!
I'm hoping to interview Tracey Steele on this blog soon. I'm sure she must have some interesting insights to share!
Other publication opportunities
Short Story Stack pay $100, plus royalties for selected stories. The word count range is from just 6 words, to 10,000 and they even accept reprints, as long as you still hold the appropriate rights.
Other news
You may remember that a while ago, Liz Filluel wrote this post, about having some of her stories which had previously appeared in womags, published by Clan Destine Press. Her book is now available for pre-order and there's a discount if you get in quick.
I'm not sure if it's available internationally, or just in Australia, but I was sure you'd like a look at the cover.


Thank you, Patsy.
ReplyDeleteI had Tracey's email. I shall miss her as she's accepted five pocket novels from me, and her emails are always encouraging - don't know if she really thinks this or is just polite but they gave me the confidence to try with My Weekly too when they were accepting them. So very grateful and she accepted another from me last week, so that is my news.
Congratulations to Liz on the publication. I enjoyed the long reads in TPF that included the constable.
Alyson
Well done to everyone with positive news.
ReplyDeleteI'll be sad to see Tracey go, too.
The September issue of FF has no named stories in at all. I assume they are all AI assisted.
It's such a shame. It wouldn't cost Bauer any more to use re- prints and the writers could claim ALCS. Another main market gone. Woman's and home mag are publishing a short story but it looks like they will be novelist's stories.
Thanks for that, Patsy. The print book will only be available in Australia, but the ebook will be available globally though Clan Destine Press or Amazon (in due course).
ReplyDeleteI'm sad about Tracey leaving. She's been my editor since 2020, and I've always enjoyed working with her. She's always been very encouraging about my writing, especially my cosy crimes. I shall miss her.
Liz
Congratulations Liz, lovely cover & also congrats to Alyson on all those pocket novel acceptances over the years, wow. My news this week is an acceptance from April at BOWW, pleased with that as it all happens very fast (from writing to publication in a few weeks).
ReplyDeleteWell done sheelagh.
ReplyDeleteI seem to have lost my touch with stories recently!
I meant woman and home mag earlier, sorry.
Thank you Patsy. I look forward to the interview with Tracey.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Sheelagh and good luck Liz (love the book cover, very striking).
Marguerite – it was a seal after all! 😊
Dee
I really had dismissed the seal thing even after I'd seen the article in our press. They had seen fit to note the protocol should you find a seal on the beach (obviously an everyday occurrence 🙄).
DeleteCongratulations, Alyson, Liz and Sheelagh! I also look forward to the interview with Tracey. Despite never having a story published in TPF, Tracey was my editor for the couple of poems I've had in there - always so friendly and positive.
ReplyDeleteI’m another of Tracey’s writers who will definitely miss her - she always had a cheery word. I remember how excited I was when I received my first acceptance and she seemed genuinely pleased for me.
ReplyDeleteThat's lovely news, Alyson and Liz 😊. Sheelagh, you had two stories in this month's BOWW as well: congrats! Thank you, Patsy for the Short Story Stack. Worth checking out.
ReplyDeleteSadly for the other autbor, only one of them was mine, it was a printing error in the contents list, Marguerite
DeleteI sent a story to short story stack but as I didn't hear anything, I'd assumed that the project had shut down. Not even a rejection.
ReplyDeleteI'll try again with another one.
It’s bittersweet to see Tracey retire after so many years, but lovely that Lucy is stepping in. Congratulations to Liz on her book cover too.
ReplyDeleteher trees
@ Alyson – Although I can't imagine a DCT Thomson editor being rude, I have even more trouble thinking they'd accept work just from politeness!
ReplyDelete@ Sharon – More than simply assisted, I expect! They've always credited their human authors, and I see no reason they'd stop doing that now. I'd be happy to be proved wrong by learning of real people who'd written any part of that issue.
Even if we can't submit, it seems vaguely encouraging that another publication does value fiction written by humans.
@ Liz – That makes sense. I imagine postage from Australia to other countries would be as expensive as the book itself.
@ Sheelagh - Congratulations! Quick responses are always nice, aren't they?
@ Dee – I'll try to come up with some good questions!
"@ Marguerite - this seal, and lots of his friends / family were on sand in a harbour, only exposed at low tide. We could get quite close, but the big drop down from the sea wall meant people couldn't approach and disturb them. This one seemed to pose for a photo. The others didn't so much as glance in our direction.
@ Maisie – Not being a poet or having written PNs I had very little to do with Tracey, but she did indeed seem very friendly te few times we did communicate.
@ Marian – That's lovely.
@ Marguerite – Good luck if you try them.
@ Sharon – I haven't had a response either. It's so frustrating when that happens, or rather doesn't. An auto response saying 'if you've not heard in X weeks it's a no' would be very helpful.
@ Asada – It's good that a new editor has already been appointed, so hopefully response times shouldn't be extended too much.
That many Lucys would be hilarious!
ReplyDeleteJust catching up. Congratulations to all those with good news - love the book cover Liz. My news is a PF cosy crime accepted by…. Lucy! (smiling at your letter idea Patsy as I type this!)
ReplyDeleteThanks, everyone.
ReplyDeleteTerrible news about TABFF going full AA on fiction. I really feel for the affected writers.
Liz
Haha, I meant full AI!
DeleteThe picture mystery is revealed! And don't I feel foolish about my guess, now. Sharon, you're very good about letting us all know when we have stories published of which we might be unaware, so can I check that you know you have a story in the new My Weekly annual (assuming I have the correct pen-name for you). Really looking forward to reading Liz's book (I'll have to borrow an e-reader!) and to an interview with Tracey, who will clearly be much-missed.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks eirin.
ReplyDeleteHas anyone heard from Crowvus about their memoir pieces yet? I sent one in but I haven't heard.
If everyone else has had acceptances, I assume it's a no for me.
No, Sharon. 31st July was the final date. I know I sent mine really early.
DeleteDitto – No, I haven’t heard anything.
DeleteBTW – today there is a very moving piece on their book blog about losing a beloved pet.
Dee
Also, I had two acceptances from them prior, then a specific rejection with an earlier one, so I'm sure they'll respond.
Delete