Free entry writing competitions
Protopian Prize is for optimistic stories set in the future. They should be 500 to 6,000 words. There's a $5,000 prize in each category, plus publication.
Thanks to Dee for sending these details. As she says, both the competition on the New Writers website look interesting. Competition open to UK residents only.
Deadline: 23.59 (UK time) on Wednesday 29 July 2026
- Entry Fee: FREE
- Prizes: The winning entrant will receive: 1. Cash prize of £100; 2. Your work set to music by composer David Yardley and performed by professional musicians at the “Of Carols & Chimeras” concert on Friday 20 November 2026; 3. Complimentary tickets to the concert; 4. Standard 50% royalties from any future performances or recordings of the musical work that uses your lyrics
- Word Limit: 50 lines
- Theme: Chimeras
- Category: Poetry Competitions
Other (ie NOT womag) publication opportunities
Story Unlikely are accepting submissions until 14th October. They pay 8 cents a word with a maximum payout of $350 (or 1 cent a word for reprints). They consider any genre, but don't want anything excessive.
My news
I have a new book out! (Yes, I'm back at that again too.)






Thanks for the info. An AI overview comes up when I search for this blog. Apparently, it's regularly updated by Della Galton!
ReplyDelete@ Sharon – If she does, she's using the digital equivalent of invisible ink!
ReplyDeleteThat shows how accurate AI is. Della has commented on the blog, and contributed guests posts, but not for a while and she's never had access to update it.
Hello.
ReplyDeleteA fruit stall, Patsy! Not a cake stall? Thank you Dee and Patsy: interesting subjects. I have another story coming up in BOWW. Topical, so I think it's next time :) Good luck with your new book, Patsy. Maybe your next collection be French cooking :)
ReplyDeleteWell done to all with positive news. The only update I have to report is a photo in a mag and a poem in a local paper.
ReplyDeleteI'm sending stuff out to no fee, online projects but I'm not hearing back. Maybe everyone is on holiday!
Thank you for all the updates. I haven't any acceptances to report, but I have had some stories that were accepted a while ago appearing, which had been a boost. I've also been rather overwhelmed by other work etc away from writing, but I've just ordered the new book, Patsy - it sounds just what I need to de-stress!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Patsy!
ReplyDeleteThe Green Dragon contest sounds cool. For the winner of course!
Thanks Patsy & best of luck with new book. My only news is an acceptance for a story submitted last week to April at BOWW. So many thanks for the info posted here that they were looking for new stories.
ReplyDeleteWell done Sheelagh. I haven't had any acceptances from WW or BOWW for quite a long while. The deadline for my Xmas stories at WW is coming up, so I guess I haven't been successful there this year. Well done with the new book Patsy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the updates and congratulations on the new book Patsy. I’ve been busy with poetry and other writing recently, mainly for competitions. I’ve been reading a lot - quite a few reservations at the library arriving at the same time . I find that often sparks off ideas that are very different from what I’m reading, but my brain must make a connection and off it goes - I love it!
ReplyDeleteThank you Patsy and Dee.
ReplyDeleteI had an acceptance from TPF this week. I hadn't heard back from them on any of my submissions for a while, so it was a real boost!
Congratulations and good luck with your book, Patsy.
HB
TPF! Congratulations!
DeleteThank you 😊
DeleteA lot of good news here, and a new book, congratulations, Patsy.
ReplyDeleteNot a lot to report; a few competitions entered. I had an email re the Welkin mini genre prize to let me know my entry wasn’t going to progress, however it was such a lovely email I shall keep it.😊
Dee