It's been very hot and I've been very busy working on my latest novel – which is why there's only a short post today. By way of apology, I've made something to cool you down. The photo is a clue!
Other publication opportunities
Thanks to Alyson for sending me the link to Flame Tree Fiction. Definitely not womag and a bit niche, but it is a paying market.
Something random!
Ever wanted to give your character a really wacky name, but weren't sure anyone could actually be called that? Here's a site which allows you to check whether a name would be legal in the UK. Thanks to Charlie for sending the link.
Ant thanks to Marguerite for this link for plausible sounding landline numbers which aren't actually in use.
Summer writing sanctuary
Thanks (again!) to Alyson for sharing the details of this free summer writing sanctuary. Does it look like something you'd like to participate in?

19 comments:
Thank you, Alyson. I've signed up for the Sanctuary as I've not missed any so far since Beth Kempton started doing them. Always a refreshing boost of inspiration. I'm not sure about The Flame Tree Press subject. Existential? Probably too broad for me to cover by early August (if ever!) but I try to keep a lookout on their call outs.
Charlie's was in interesting one. Isn't there something about phone numbers you can use as well somewhere?
Thank you for the cooling water, Patsy: very welcome :)
Ally27
Ooh, it looks like I'm the first to comment. Do I get a prize? Perhaps everyone is having a siesta. Thank you Patsy, as always, for the info/lovely photos/updates. I don't have anything to report. Does anyone know if the winners of the Best Romance Short Story competition have been announced? I hope that everyone is managing to stay cool and congrats to all those with writing successes. Ally.
Ally27
Scrap that, Marguerite beat me by one minute. Do we both get a prize?
@ Marguerite – I think there is, although I've never looked for it.
@ Ally - OK, you can have a bag of apostrophes to share. I must warn you though that these are untrained, so there's no telling where they'll end up.
Hi everyone
The results of the best summer romance comp haven't been announced yet. Maybe it'l be in next week's issue? I see that the TPF poetry winners have been announced.
Well done to all with positive news.
Things have been very quiet for me recently. I haven't heard back from any of the projects I've submitted stories to. People must be away on holiday.
I've had a go at the crowvus memoir project. I don't think they will choose my piece but it was free to enter.
We're awaiting news from FF. We still don't know if there will be a September issue. Or any issues at all after the August one.
๐ One of Patsy's cakes? She has loads!๐
Ally27
@Patsy - Ooh, thank you. I live to live life on the edge.
@Marguerite - You're welcome to share my apostrophes:)
@Sharon at A Quick Read - Thank you - I can't remember when the closing date was for the Best competition but it seems like a while ago. I didn't have any luck with the TPF poetry competition. They also took an age to announce the winners. Well done if any of the winners are readers of this blog. I definitely overthought the brief of 'reconciliation'. I'm now trying to find another home for my entry. Good luck with your entry to the Crowvus memoir competition.
Gee, thanks, Ally. I'd rather have cake. Mind you, a girl can never have too many spare apostrophes. I saw someone out with the tee shirt: "I'm silently correcting your grammar". ๐คฃ
Phone numbers. Spent ages looking for them, and where were they? Back of Patsy's From Story Idea to Reader๐คฃ. However (never start a sentence with 'however'), that has clearly been updated:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-and-broadband/phone-numbers/numbers-for-drama
for those who want to keep it real ๐. I expect it's more used in plays than stories.
@ Sharon – I think you're right about people being on holiday, as responses to anything seem very thin on the ground. I think school holidays have started?
@ Marguerite – In my defence, it's been quite a while since Ros and I wrote that, and I'd forgotten how chock full of useful info it is!
Thanks for the link. I'll add it to the post.
Thank you for the info, Alyson, Charlie and Marguerite; the writing retreat sounds interesting.
I didn’t get anywhere with the PF poetry comp either, but enjoyed writing it.
Thank you for the cooling video, Patsy, very welcome!
Dee
Ally27
@Marguerite - Same here but don't tell Patsy:) I have to get myself on of those tee shirts:)
Ally27
"one"
Thanks to everyone for the information, the writing retreat sounds interesting if I can manage it. By the way ALCS are running two surveys at present seeking the views of writers on AI.
By the way those surveys are only open to those writers who have published a book not just articles or short stories.
On the FF front (also on Youtube) - https://www.instagram.com/reel/Dbd88gJD5SU/
@ Sheelagh – I think they've ended now? I got a message saying the form wasn't accepting responses. Maybe I got the wrong thing. If either are still running, can you point me in the right direction, and I'll add them into the post.
@ Anonymous Hmm, interesting. I fear that's more likely to put the mag out of business than get them buying our stories, but it's nice to know someone big is interested in what us little guys are facing.
Sorry Patsy, I deleted the email. I attempted to complete & it was only when I revealed that I had no full book published, that it ended my survey with apologies
Post a Comment