We're currently away in the van, heading to a family wedding. We've taken the scenic, meandering, circuitous route and met several friends along the way – including Fiona, who often supplies details of competitions and opportunities on this blog, stories for womags and poetry for anthologies, competitions and events.
We've chatted a bit online, but this was the first time in person. We met at Baddesley Clinton. The photo was taken in the library, which had an exhibition about author Lady Georgina Chatterton. She wrote poetry, escapist fiction and travelogues. Fiona and I both liked this quote of hers.
Free to enter writing competition
On the Premises have another mini competition. They want stories of 25 to 50 words, in the form of a list. First prize $35 with other cash prizes.
Womag news
Thanks to Alyson for passing on this message which The People's Friend posted on Twitter. "We're currently looking for stories with a contemporary setting, set from January onwards for the weekly and mid-March onwards for the Special. All word counts welcome but especially 3000 and 2000."


10 comments:
Many thanks Patsy. It looked like a good day.
I've discovered that the local paper, who used to publish my poems in their weekly letters page, hasn't a letters page any more.
Well, I only had 2 poems left to send, so I've done well.
Oh, Sharon. But it sounds like you'd had a number printed, so, good. Thank you, Patsy and Alyson. I will have a serious try for TPF (yeah, whatevah!) as that does seem specific, eh? Patsy, what was the quote? It was lovely for you two to meet. Was their cake? (I can hear Patsy's answer: "There's always cake!")
I was lucky to hear from Crowvus yesterday, wanting to use my memoir piece.
Many thanks Patsy, Alyson & Fiona. Good to meet old friends along the road. Well done Sharon & Marguerite, good news indeed. Don't really know anything about Crowvus other than the name, is it open to people outside UK, do you know?
Thank you Alyson and Patsy. That is a shame Sharon – I always enjoy reading a Letters page.
What a treat Patsy, meeting up with Fiona and visiting Baddesley Clinton.
Congratulations Marguerite! I think the ‘quote’ is in the second photograph, on the bookcase. π
Dee
I've had a long week. π« No kitchen and another week to look forward toπ«. Thank you, Dee. I think I'd only just fallen in. π
https://crowvus.com/author-submissions/ The subs (start again 1st October) are varied and I'm sure, open to all, Sheelagh.
Thanks Marguerite
Went to Baddesley Clinton for the first time last year. Lovely house and the priest holes gave me a plot twist for a story I sold to My Weekly last month! Glad you and Fiona got to meet, Patsy.
@Sharon - I wonder if the letters page has been cut because people are using AI to write letters? It's a thought...
Alyson
Well done to all with positive news. I guess my memoir piece for Crowvus wasn't chosen.
Re: the local newspaper letters page. I don't think it was because the letters page was written by AI.
Lots of locals wrote in about politics and other matters every week. I suspect it's down to the publisher.
Huge media companies now own lots of local newspapers. National world is just one of them.
They like to fill them with bonus pages - a lot of silly waffle basically, about cars, tech, celebs, TV, films, ect so there isn't room for a letters page.
These pages are printed, then repeated and spread over the titles that the publisher owns.
If they think it's what readers want, they are very much mistaken. I reckon they'd prefer a letters page myself!
Hi everyone, yes, it was great meeting Patsy - and where better than in a room full of books! We had a lovely morning at Baddesley Clinton. Lots of chat, no cake, but there was chocolate!
Glad the setting inspired your plot twist Alyson. The place is so full of character, we spot something new every visit.
Congratulations to everyone with positive news and thanks Patsy and Alyson.
Post a Comment