Saturday, 26 September 2026

Surprise!

You weren't expecting to see a photo of me in a cart pulled by a wooden horse, were you?

What would you name him? 

Free entry writing competitions.

My friend Sheila (known as Spanish Sheila, as opposed to Irish Sheelagh, as all my attempts to pronounce the names differently have failed) told me about this competition. They want a story with a surprise in 2,500 words or fewer, and offer £100 prize. To enter, you must sign up for the writing club, but that's also free - and sounds potentially useful.

Thanks to Sharon Boothroyd for these two competitions – 

The W&AYB short story competition offers a prize package including publication and a 
place on an Arvon Residential Writing Week, valued at over £800.

Comma Press also have a short story competition. They want you to use what they describe as 'found text' for the whole thing. That means using something like letters, text messages, emails etc etc rather than ordinary narration. Janice Hallet writes like that, and I enjoy her books, so I know it can be done. First prize is £500. UK residents only.

Womag news

Thanks to Liz for this news - Woman's World have cut their fiction fees in half. A solve-it-yourself mystery is now $200 and romance $250. Their word counts are different too - 400 for mystery plus 40 for the solution, and between 550-680 for romance. 

13 comments:

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Patsy, Sheila & Sharon for competition info.
I'd name that horse Troy. Speaking of names, you could try something similar to an old work colleague of mine- he pronounced every single syllable of Sheelagh 😀

Patsy Collins said...

From now on, you're to be known as She l' arrrrgh!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting competitions, thank you Sheila, Sharon and Liz.
I bought the 300th PF Special, lovely to see stories by Marian, Alyson and Eirin in this anniversary edition.
Horse’s name – as he is descended from the well respected Horse-Chestnut family, and can trace his family tree for hundreds of years, I would call him Conker… 😊
Dee

Marian said...

Thank you Dee. I’m so thrilled to be in this edition.

Maisie Bishop said...

Interesting competitions. Thank you.

Marguerite said...

I have been re-watching the whole of Heartbeat. How does Niamh ever get to 'Neeve'?! Thank you Sheila, Patsy, Sharon and Liz for all the news and opportunities. I enjoyed all my '"virtual friends'" stories in BOWW☺️. Eirin, your story resonated with someone who didn't learn to drive until she was over 30! 🤣 The horse's name (and surname) is Woody Carter.

ados123 said...

Thank you for the competitions, Patsy and Sharon. The Comma press one is quite literary and the Writer's and Artists one usually has a fantastic story as the winner, but no harm in trying I guess...
Still working on a ghost story for the comp the other week, which I fancy doing.
Alyson

Anonymous said...

Marguerite – Are you now able to cook a meal in your new kitchen, or is it best not to ask…😊
Dee

Eirin said...

Thanks so much, Dee! I had totally failed to register that this was an anniversary edition, but I'll enjoy sitting down properly with my copy now.

Eirin said...

Thanks for the feedback, Marguerite - and now I think I can figure out which story this was! Hope I can get a copy of the magazine.

Marguerite said...

Yay! Dee! ☺️ I cooked spaghetti, but now comes the decorating and cleaning up.😩 There must be a story in there somewhere!

Sheelagh said...

@Erin It's called The Road to Success (Penny needs an instructor who isn't going to drive her mad). Very enjoyable read.

Eirin said...

Ah, Sheelagh. I remember this one - I had originally called it 'Driving her Crazy', but I guess 'The Road to Success' is a more positive title. Thank you!