Wednesday 5 August 2020

Combine

Wednesday word of the week

To combine is to join together or unite for a common purpose, to coalesce into one substance or cause this to happen, a big old machine for gathering grain, or co-operation.

Slightly Spooky Stories II combines 24 of my stories in one book (as do I and III !)

Another meaning is to possess qualities which are usually distinct, for example writing combines imagination with discipline.

I'm combining my other blog with this one, and all future posts for both will appear here. I'm not sure precisely how the combination will work out – it's very much a work in progress. Please let me know what you think, and if you have suggestions for improvement.


Insecure Writer's Support Group

For a time last week, I was a very insecure writer. I was wrongly accused of copyright infringement. At first I was deeply distressed, fearing I'd get into all kinds of trouble and, even worse, people might think me capable of deliberately stealing another person's work. Thankfully my on-line friends, many of them writers, were extremely supportive. They offered help and reassured me.

It makes so much difference to know others are on our side, can sympathise with our problems and possibly even help. That's why Alex set up the Insecure Writer's Support Group, and it does a great job. You can join here.

Free to enter writing competitions

Under the Hood are looking for short stories about facing down monsters. The prize is publication and $100.

The Rebecca Swift Foundation is offering £1,000, support and coaching for the winner of The Women's Poetry prize.

Questions
What qualities do you combine? Are you ever insecure about anything to do with your writing? Do you enter writing competitions?

Womag stuff

I'm (very slowly) creating a database of guidelines posts and official links for all the womags on my website. Does it look as though it might be useful?

19 comments:

Sonia Dogra said...

I was keen on trying the Rebecca Foundation but I guess it's only for UK. So gave it up. So sorry to hear about your experience. It can get quite exasperating.Im glad you found support. A database would be wonderful. You're doing a lot of things. Good luck!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's why support from others is so important.

C.D. Gallant-King said...

I hope your copyright problems have been sorted out. Random, baseless claims and accusations are a mainstay of the Internet, unfortunately.

Jemi Fraser said...

That sounds like a horrible experience! Hoping everything is straightened around now.
Online buddies are the best!

Marguerite said...

Over-enthusiasm and procrastination - two qualities I excel in - so I want to do all the competitions, but...,. ;) Both of these look interesting, thank you, Patsy.
The 'new' blog is looking good! :)

Bendywriter said...

Thank you , Patsy. Yes, a database would be helpful.

J.H. Moncrieff said...

I'm so sorry to hear you went through that, Patsy. I was accused of something similar, although in my case, it was photos. I found out it was a scammer hoping to defraud website owners out of tons of money, but it was pretty upsetting at the time. I deleted tons of photos on my blog that I didn't have to!

I hope your situation was resolved as well.

Chrys Fey said...

I am so sorry to hear you were accused of that. I hope everything is okay now.

Jennifer Hawes said...

Hope you are doing better now! Hugs!!

Sally Jenkins said...

Yes, Patsy, the Womag details on your website look like a useful & concise place to find everything. Thanks!

Patsy said...

@ Sonia – the support from fellow writers meant a lot.

@ Alex – It really is!

@ C.D. – Not yet sorted as Blogger, after scaring me silly with this STILL haven't bothered replying.

@ Jemi – Not sorted yet, but I'm no longer worried by it.

@ Marguerite – I have those qualities too!

@ Bendywriter – I'm on it.

@ Joylene – I'll do what I can.

@ J.H. Sorry it happened to you too. Seems to be just random unpleasantness in my case, with no gain to whoever did it.

@ Chrys – It's not resolved yet, but personally I'm OK.

@ Jennifer – I do feel much happier after getting so much support.

A Sally – glad it looks like it will be helpful. I'll be adding to it, when I can find the time (and remember!).

New girl on the block said...

The database looks really useful - thanks.

Sharon boothroyd said...

Your database on your website is really good but there's no 'at a glance' info on what are paid markets. For instance, Love Sunday and Woman's Way mag in Ireland don't pay at all.
W Way head their short story slots up as 'reader fiction.'
I have their new fiction guidelines if you'd like them.

Patsy said...

@ New Girl – Thank you. I'll be adding to it, but need to find a balance between there being enough to be useful, without so much it takes ages to trawl through to find what you want.

@ Sharon – Yes please to the guidelines.

Coincidentally whether or not these are paying markets is something I was considering adding. Thanks for letting me know that might be useful.

ados123 said...

All information is useful, thank you, Patsy. I would also definitely be interested in knowing which are paying markets and which are not!
Alyson

Charlie said...

Thank you Patsy for creating the list of magazines accepting fiction in your website - question woman’s world USA - do they accept stories that are based in UK?

Patsy said...

@ Alyson – I've now added that in.

@ Charlie – No, I don't think they do. You might get away with it if your characters are on holiday, but I don't think they'd go for all British characters and UK location.

Damyanti said...

Sorry to hear about your experience!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Oh no! I think a lot of us fear having an experience like yours. Glad it seems to be going okay.