Wednesday 9 March 2022

I'm Finnished!

Sorry about the clickbait headline. I've not given up writing, or cake or anything drastic like that. What's happened is that a company who make language learning apps saw one of my published short stories and asked to buy it to help Finnish students through their english coursework. 

As I hadn't given up all rights I was able to agree to the sale. Had I given up all rights I wouldn't have been able to accept the fairly generous fee, even though whoever held the rights wouldn't have wanted to use the story in a learning language app. of their own. This is one of many reasons I strongly advise writers not to give up all rights to their work.

My womag news is that I have a story in the 11th March issues of Ireland's Own and the current People's Friend special. They're both gardening related, which I think totally justifies me sprinkling this post with photos of my garden.

If you're interested in the story behind some of my stories and other stuff about my writing life, take a look at the blog on my website.

Free entry competition news

Fusilli are continuing with their flash fiction competitions. You can use up to 200 words to write a story with a twist. Entry is free, but there's an option to get paid feedback.

Thanks to Dawn Brown for passing on the details of this competition from Bloodhound books. They want complete novels of at least 60,000 words from writers from a minority background – it's up to the entrants to explain how they qualify. The prize is a publishing contract along with editorial and marketing help.


Alli are offering a Kobo ereader and a self publishing package in this ten word story competition. I'm definitely going to have a go at that one!

12 comments:

ados123 said...

Congratulations on the short story sale to the app producers, Patsy. That's great that somebody spotted your story and wanted to use it.
Thanks for the other comps. as ever. I might try the 10 word one but I'm rubbish at really short short...
Alyson

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great about the short story. Nope, never give up your rights.

Cathy Cade said...

Congratulations on the sale. And thanks for the opportunities you tell us about. You seem to find some that don't appear on on other competition blogs I'm subscribed to.
I've finally had a story accepted by People's Friend (Woo-hoo!)
I started writing back when other magazines were still accepting newbie writers (and not taking all rights) so your blog posts have been invaluable to keep me updated.

sally jenkins said...

Thanks, Patsy - I like the sound of the prize from Alli!
Congratulations on the sale to the language app!

Eirin Thompson said...

Well done, Patsy, on being discovered by a new and exciting outlet! I hope this is the first of many sales to them for you. And congratulations to Cathy, too - I have a subscription to The People's Friend (both weekly magazine and Special), and will look out for your story. Best wishes to all.

Marguerite said...

You are truly international, Patsy! Congratulations on the language app thing :) Maybe there'll be more... Spanish, Italian... ;) I don't think the comps are for me this week but thank you for continuing to unearth those odd few... as Cathy said...,. Also, congratulations to Cathy - you have hit on the magic formula! Do tell!

Marian said...

Congratulations on the app and the stories, Patsy. And thanks for the information on the competitions. I think I'll try the ten word one! Congratulations to Cathy too.

Kate Blackadder said...

What a lovely thing to happen, Patsy.

New girl on the block said...

The language learning app sounds really interesting. Do you know how/where they came across your work, Patsy?

Thanks for the competition info, as always. I've entered the 10-word one. Challenging, but fun!

Sheelagh said...

That's brilliant news Patsy I am delighted for you, well done & hopefully many more to follow. It must be nice to think that your work will be used in such a way, like the gift that keeps on giving.Thanks for all the competition news, I might have a go at the 10 word story to ease myself back into writing again after a very sad time for me.

Patsy said...

@ Alyson – 10 words is very short indeed! Fun to try though.

@ Alex – It amazes me that any writers give up their rights, but we're all different.

@ Cathy – Woo-hoo indeed! Congratulations.

@ Sally – Interesting prize, isn't it. Could be very valuable indeed.

@ Eirin – Thank you. I'm not sure they'll want fiction, but I have mentioned I have lots of other stories in case they do.

@ Marguerite – My writing is far more widely travelled than I am, although I have been to Helsinki.

@ Marian – Good luck with the ten words. It's a great exercise in making every word really earn its place.

@ Kate – I thought so too.

@ New Girl – They saw the story after I published it on the Medium website. Until then I'd assumed the only money I'd earn from there would come directly from the site, so this is a real bonus.

@ Sheelagh – It would be wonderful if my fiction helps someone to love the English language.

Sending big hugs re your sadness. x

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Palsy, appreciate it