Saturday, 12 September 2026

Boo hoo!

 

Free to enter writing competition

Thanks to Sharon for sending me the link to this Christmas ghost story competition. As Sharon says, it doesn't actually have to be a Christmas story. First prize is £100. Max word count, 5,000. (That's the Boo)

This competition is for unpublished authors only. They must be citizens of, or living in the UK or Ireland. The first prize is £3,000, with runners up prizes of £1,000. Max word count 5,000. (Boo hoo, I can't enter!) Sorry - this has just closed!

My news
Most of my ebooks are currently 99p in the UK or 99c in the US. Woohoo! Sorry,  Amazon doesn't currently allow me to set up this deal elsewhere.

8 comments:

Fiona said...

Thanks Sharon and Patsy for the comp info. I think the boo is that when I clicked on the second link it said competition closed! Checked elsewhere on the website and the closing date seems to have been yesterday. (Like many, I couldn’t have entered anyway!)

Marguerite said...

Thank you, Sharon and Patsy. The ghost one is definitely for me. I know the Toasted Cheese will be announced 1st October (deadline 21st December) but they seem to vary their generally ghost theme. I'm afraid I couldn't play in the summer one (non-genre - whatever that really means). I'll put it on here when I see it.

ados123 said...

Thank you very much Patsy and Sharon. I shall definitely have a go at the Christmas Ghost story. I've just entered the Best Halloween comp - love writing spooky!
Alyson

Sharon at A Quick Read said...

Crowvus hold a Xmas ghost story competition too, but there is a fee.
I haven't got a Halloween one for the best comp.
I'm not good at writing with seasons or special days in mind, although I can just about manage Xmas and valentine's.
I've entered the write time competition this year, for the first time.
Has anyone had their entries placed in their competition?

Marguerite said...

Just did a quick check from my spreadsheet, Sharon: 12, sometimes more than one in a session, over a two-three year period. Not once placed. Varied: ghost, romance, humour, sci-fi. Hey ho.

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Patsy & Sharon, the ghost story one sounds interesting. Must put my thinking cap on.

Patsy Collins said...

@ Fiona – Oh dear. I thought it closed in October. Must have got mixed up with another one.

@ Marguerite – I look forward to the update.

@ Alyson – The spooky stuff can be a lot of fun to write.

@ Sharon – I quite like writing the seasonal stuff. My problem is that I generally write it at the wrong time, and forget to send it later on. I need a better system for that.

I've not tried write time I'm not quite eligible!

@ Sheelagh – Between us, we'll be haunting that competition!

Btw, most of my books are currently reduced to 99p / 99c. I've just added a link in the post.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sharon and Patsy - I have never written a ghost story, perhaps now is the time to have a go…
Dee