Thursday 11 February 2016

Ireland's Own Fiction Guidelines

I requested new guidelines from this magazine. The response was as follows -

"General guidelines for contributors to Ireland’s Own are: fictional short stories should be no longer than 2,000 words. Payment is €65/£50 for stories of this length and €50 for shorter stories (eg 1,000-1,400 words). Also, memory pieces are usually one-pagers, 750 words, and also €50 or £40. 

All submissions to submissions@irelandsown.ie please, though I must stress we are not currently seeking fictional submissions. We are inundated at present, and working our way through a backlog of accepted stories. And there are many still to be read! I hope that helps."

I'll leave it up to you whether or not you wish to try, but if you do it seems you should be prepared for a long wait until you hear back - if you ever do.  

6 comments:

Della G said...

Thanks Patsy, always good to hear updated guidelines even if they're not taking subs right now.

Jan Baynham said...

Thank you for the information, Patsy.

Dolores Doolittle said...

Well, that`s one I`d never thought of! Very interesting, And they seem to be open to memory pieces (assume not where-did-I-leave-my-buspass) - Yours magazine were also looking for nostalgia in your post of 5th Feb - shall take it as a Sign!

Carolb said...

Always good to know when there's no point in sending stories because they've enough for the time being.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

I've had a few stories published in this but never heard back from my last submission, so long ago I can't remember when - maybe I shouldn't give up hope yet!

Julie P said...

Thanks, Patsy - this is not a market I'd considered before, so I'll leave it a while before I even think of submitting to them.