Wednesday 20 February 2019

Over to you

This month's discussion topic – Do you write fillers? They can be a great way to boost your confidence and bank balance when short story sales aren't as high as we'd like. (Remember they usually have to be exclusive to the magazine, and that the rights they take may not be the same as for fiction. As always, do check the requirements and ensure you comply and are happy with them.)

Here's another random photo for use as a story prompt. 

Please share success (or otherwise!) report any womag news, tips, advice you may have, make womag related comments or observations and ask questions – and answer them too if you can help.


 (If you have news or a question relating to a particular magazine, it's also fine to add it as a comment to the latest post for that magazine.)

7 comments:

Julie Day said...

I have noticed that Writer's Forum magazine now do a column for writing tips. Another filler opportunity, which I will write to.

Bea Charles said...

Julie, I may have misunderstood but I don’t think the writing tips are paid. To start the column off 4 writers shared the usual £100 flash fiction prize fund, but apart from those 4 all others are published without payment.

Sharon Boothroyd said...

Fillers can be a good source of income to focus on if the stories feel like hard slog. Most mags like response pieces that comment on previous features. Praise works well!
Of course, publication is not guaranteed, even here.
Just a note - TAB have recently lowered their fees for their letters, beauty questions etc.

Julie Day said...

Thanks for clarifying that for me, Bea. I did see that the top one was paid but not the others.

Penny A said...

Thank you for the sea cliffs picture! I always find seasides make excellent settings - maybe even sell a bit better too! (My latest with PF is 'The Singing Sea' but of course the title has a habit of changing sometimes...:-))

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on all your eBook publications, Patsy. I'd really like to know more about how you put your short story collections together, and the whole eBook process, if it something you would be willing to say more about? (and anyone else who is willing to share their experience!)
Cam

Patsy said...

@ Julie and Bea – it's good to keep your eye open for new opportunities. Shame this one isn't paid for.

@ Sharon – good tips. Thanks.

@ Pennny – congratulations on your PF sale. I hope they keep that title, I really like it.

@ Cam – I did do a blog post on this some time ago. i'll see if I can find the link.