Thursday 14 November 2019

You're in the right place!

I have a couple of womag related snippets in Writer's Forum this month and the editor added this comment.
->


Talking of editors ... Isn't it great that Katharine Wootton of Yours listened to and acted on the concerns raised by myself and others about the all rights issue? (See previous posts if you missed the two bits of good news from Yours and Yours Fiction.)

And isn't the support we get from the entire editorial team at The People's Friend brilliant? They must be swamped with submissions, yet we always receive a reply. Often there's a helpful comment or word of encouragement too, sometimes more comprehensive feedback will be supplied – and Shirley Blair takes the time to update her blog to keep us informed of the fiction requirements and other news.

Of course these are by no means the only helpful, friendly and supportive editors. Who do you feel deserves our thanks?

As part of my efforts to maintain this blog, and write occasional news pieces for Writer's Forum and Writing Magazine, I quite often contact editors. Almost always I get a reply.  Sometimes they even contact me with information to pass on to womag writers. These people are busy, and my requests for information take them away from the mountain of submissions and other tasks they have to deal with, so thank you to everyone who has ever replied – even when the answer wasn't what I wanted to hear.


12 comments:

Kate Blackadder said...

And thank YOU, Patsy for being the conduit for all this useful info.

Carolb said...

When you put the important information out on the blog Patsy, it probably reduces the number of queries the editors receive and would need to deal with. It's win-win for writers and editors.

Thank you for keeping us informed of the latest news.

ados123 said...

Thank you for keeping the blog up to date, Patsy, with all the news, sharing what you learn and are sent. It is appreciated.
Alyson

Anonymous said...

Just read this on Woman's Weekly's Facebook page in the comment section - 'We will be reintroducing a serial from our issue on sale 23 December. From then on it will be in every issue of Woman’s Weekly. Who says we don't listen to our readers!! Do stay in touch.'

I can't confirm this from any writer I know so far. We all know WW don't listen to their writers yet they ALSO used to be their readers.

Patsy said...

@ Kate, Carol and Alyson – and thank you for commenting. It means a lot to me when people take the trouble to do that.

@ Anonymous – Now that's interesting! Thanks for letting me know, I'll see what I can find out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Patsy, for sharing the encouraging news from Yours/Yours Fiction. And I agree completely with your praise for the fiction team at The People's Friend, who read and respond to every submission, whether the author is known to them or not. I have also been treated very well by the people at Fiction Feast, and Marion at Yours was absolutely lovely when I wrote to explain why I wasn't able to accept the All Rights situation. (I hope they'll have me back.)

Thank you for the time and effort you put into keeping your blog up-to-date and providing a place where womag writers can discuss and debate. It is much appreciated. Eirin Thompson

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks for your continued updates, Patsy - they're so helpful!

Liz said...

I've certainly been grateful for all the advice in your blog, Patsy.

I submitted three stories to People's Friend in August/September and have had two accepted (one's still in the system), which I'm ecstatic about. Reading the magazine is essential, but I reckon reading the blogs - yours, and those that Shirley and the fiction team put up so regularly - come a close second in terms of knowing what they're looking for. So thank you for all you do.

Sharon Boothroyd said...

Thank you for all you've done and all you have done, Patsy.It's very much appreciated.

Chris Sutton said...

I've finally been able to buy a copy of Take a Break's new mag, Pets. It contains one short story of around 1,100-1,200 words. Unable to locate any guidelines, though. Does anyone know if this new imprint is covered by the same proviso as Take a Break's Fiction Feast, that is, that only their previously published authors may submit? I've got several I'd like to try there, but ...

Patsy said...

@ Eirin – Good to know about your positive experiences.

I'm sure Yours aren't going to hold it against anyone who didn't want work published on the all rights terms. They've changed their requirements precisely because they understand why some of us were unhappy about that.

@ Rosemary and Sharon – thank you both for supporting this blog by leaving comments.

@ Liz – Researching the markets, both in terms of what they've recently published, and what they're currently looking for, is a sensible move. Congratulations on your PF success!

@ Chris – I've not seen anything either way on this particular magazine. If you have a story you're sure is a good fit, maybe it's worth trying? (I suggest just trying one initially. I feel it's more likely they'll take a look at a single submission, than a whole batch from a new-to-them writer.)

Chris Sutton said...

Thanks, Patsy. I'm going to try one and see how it goes. Will let you know what happens.