Wednesday 16 June 2021

Eight free to enter writing competitions!

I have a big batch of writing competitions for you today! If you would like me to keep posting about these, then please leave a comment on this post. (This blog post – not the sign post!)

This competition from the University of Southampton is for radio plays. The prize is a script appraisal and treatment from the Literacy Consultancy.

For this short story competition from On The Premises, you're asked to write about a monster. The prize is $250.

Secret Attic run a monthly short story competition. You can submit anything you like, including previously published work, as long as it's under 1500 words and not poetry. There's a £20 Amazon voucher for the best entry. That story, and selected others will be published in 'a booklet' which will be available as hard copy and pdf. Everyone who has a story selected will receive a pdf copy.

The winners for the current competition will be announced on our wedding anniversary, so I'm quite tempted to send something romantic!

A reminder about Wordhound's regular competitions for children 12 years and under. There's a new prompt each month, a prize and they do their best to give some kind of encouragement to each entrant. Writers may submit from anywhere.

You can write fact or fiction for this competition from BCSA. Anyone may enter, as many pieces as they wish, but do read all the details about what they're looking for. There's a £400 first prize.

This poetry competition has a £150 prize.

If you consider yourself to be working class, live in the UK or ROI and are over 18, you can enter this competition from W&A. There's a £200 prize. They're looking for the beginning of an unpublished work.

For this competition from Black Spring Press you can send anything, even if it's rushed and imperfect, from anywhere. (You'll need to sign in to Submittable to see the details). The prize is a publishing contract offer, with an advance. I've got lots of imperfect unfinished stuff and am really tempted to give this a go.

Are you tempted to try any of these? If not, is that because you don't like to enter any kind of competition, or have I just not found one to suit you?

23 comments:

Marguerite said...

Eight! Spoilt for choice - thank you, Patsy. I have to admit to a mild addiction to Secret Attic ;)

Linda Casper said...

Thanks for posting. The information you share is invaluable, Patsy.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing. Writing competitions can be a great opportunity for writers.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's quite the list! Radio play - now that's a unique contest.

ados123 said...

Thanks as ever for the competitions, Patsy. I don't enter many but always good to know what is there!
Alyson

New girl on the block said...

Yes, please keep posting these. I quite often enter Secret Attic and On the Premises competitions.... especially when I don't have time to write longer pieces. I've had some pieces selected for Secret Attic.

lionsshare said...

Most generous of you to share and much appreciated. Sometimes it's good to try something different to the womags to get the creative juices flowing. Thanks again. Linda

Anonymous said...

Please keep posting Patsy. I've been a bit despondent on the writing front lately with so few womag opportunities, so entering a couple of these will hopefully help me get back into the swing. I really appreciate all you do to keep us updated. Sharon H.

marialynch said...

Patsy, you spoil us:-) What a great selection.

Jane Bettany said...

Keep them coming, Patsy! I always look forward to receiving your updates.

Francesca Capaldi said...

Thanks Patsy! :-)

Erika Woods said...

What a haul - * free competitions. Thank you, Patsy. Very much appreciated,

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Patsy. This information is appreciated. Quite a list! I’m tempted to send something to the Secret Attic if they consider anything.
Michael D

Wendy said...

Thank you, Pasty. Yes, I'm always keen to hear about competitions, especially the free ones!
Interesting to see Black Spring Press mentioned. They were the first publishers to give me freelance work when I began proofreading many moons ago.

Elizabeth McGinty said...

Thanks Patsy, very generous of you to share these competitions and it is much appreciated. I have already entered one of them and am working on a second :)

Bendywriter said...

Thanks, Patsy. The Black Spring Press one sounds amazingly open. (Is there a catch? Memo to self: Reading the small print is always a good idea.)

ChrisC said...

Thank Patsy! Always on the look out for competitions. Selected in Secret Attic last month so it keeps me going!

Anonymous said...

Thenks, Patsy. Like the look of the Black Sping Press comp. I'll maybe send them something - I'll look at the others, too. Good wishes. Kate Hogan.

Patsy said...

@ Marguerite – I can see how that could happen!

@ Linda – It's good to know it's useful.

@ Natalie – I think they are too and there does seem to be something for everyone.

@ Alex – They're not common!

@ Alyson – I don't enter many either, but it's good to have a go now and then.

@ New Girl – It's good to know you're entering. Even better to know you're getting work published as a result.

@ Lionsshare – Yes, it's good to write, and have somewhere to send, a different type of story now and then.

@ Sharon. Sorry about the despondency – although I do understand it on the womag front. I hope one of these competitions lifts your mood.

@ Maria – I surprised myself by finding so many.

@ Jane – thank you. That's good to hear.

@ Francesca – You're welcome.

@ Erika – Not sure if I can top this lot, but I can try.

@ Michael – Go on, give it a go.

@ Wendy – I was thinking of trying their competition. You've persuaded me!

@ Elizabeth – that's good going!

@ Bendywriter – Reading the small print is always a good idea, but there didn't seem to be a catch with this one. Maybe they're using the competition as free publicity? If so it's working, as I hadn't heard of them before.

@ Chris – Oh, well done! A boost like that makes such a difference, doesn't it?

@ Kate – I like the look of that one too.

Liz said...

I read these posts and like to see what's out there, but I generally only enter Australian competitions. Even with free-to-enter comps, the prizes can be specific to a particular country, so not always worth entering.

Patsy said...

@ Liz – A lot of the ones I hear about are for the UK, as that's where I live, but I do keep a look out for international ones too.

alyson faye said...

Brilliant thanks Patsy, have entered a couple, kind of lost my mojo lately so this list and your blog is helping me get back into it again thanks Aly

Patsy said...

@ Alyson – I'm pleased to be helping in some way!