Thursday 1 July 2021

Guest post by novelist Eirin Thompson

Eirin Thompson regularly comments on this blog, so when I heard about her good news I thought others of you would like to share in it and learn how it came about.

I am surprised and delighted to share with you the news that I’m having a book published on 1st July. It’s called ‘I Know I Saw Her’, with the author name E.D. Thompson, published by Hachette. It’s a mystery/suspense novel, and the main action takes place in a quiet suburban street over one sultry summer. Big among my influences were the Hitchcock film ‘Rear Window’ and Paula Hawkins’ novel ‘The Girl on the Train’.

I am surprised because, some time ago, I thought I’d had my moment as a writer and it was over; I gave up, retrained in something else and set writing dreams aside. But then I discovered the possibility of writing short stories for women’s magazines. After a stuttering start, I began to get acceptances and some very buoying feedback, and to grow in confidence. I also learned, with practice, how to write fictional dialogue properly for the first time!

On the face of it, I’ve accumulated a few bits and bobs over the years that might equip me as a writer. I trained as a newspaper reporter with the National Council for the Training of Journalists and worked for some years in that capacity. I have an English Literature degree with First Class Honours and a Masters in Creative Writing. I got a two-book deal in my thirties for a darkish comedy drama about family life and a sequel set in the workplace.

But when my two-book deal ended, not having set the world on fire with sales, the third novel, on which I had worked so hard, languished in a folder on my shelf.

My writing ‘career’ was caput and, my three children all now at ‘big’ school, I looked elsewhere for a living.

Where were my writing qualifications now? All muddled up with the many other roles I’d played during a messy life that, far from being strategically-aimed at the literary, also included stints as a waitress, a civil servant, a chambermaid, a cleaner, an usherette and even a fairground attendant.

I retrained in Children’s Care, Education and Development and then in Playwork and spent several fulfilling years working with children and young people.

Forced to take some weeks off from my new employment to recover from surgery, I was brought a few women’s magazines and became intrigued by the fiction sections – were these filled by in-house writers, or did they consider submitted work?

I can’t recall exactly what homework I did – it might have been then that I invested in The Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook – but of a bunch of three tales that I sent off, one was accepted. I was extremely lucky, because that was all it took for me to believe that there was at least the possibility of building something and I tentatively began to submit more.

I discovered helpful and interesting blogs like this one, and Helen Yendall’s blog-about-writing, and I found that I absolutely loved writing for what are fondly known as the ‘womags’. One of the wonderful things about conjuring up such a variety of stories is that it makes excellent use of a life lived messily – no experience is wasted; it can all be used to inform and fuel the fiction. Nobody at the magazines asks what your qualifications to write are, either, or whether you’ve failed in the past – the editors are interested in what’s on the page you submit. The nice ones – and I’ve only encountered nice ones – are interested in you, too.

With some success achieved, I eventually started to consider the notion of trying my hand at a novel again – daunting, when you’ve had to write off one before. I studied Stephen King’s ‘On Writing’, had a gnawing idea for a mystery/suspense story, and finally decided to go for it.

The result is ‘I Know I Saw Her’, which I sent to my former agent, who passed it on to my former

editor at Hachette, who said yes!

The fifty-one-year-old main character, Alice, is a supply teacher who is struggling with work and with other things. She often feels fragile, but she’s stronger than she thinks she is, which is just as well, given what she’s about to stumble into – dark dealings in suburbia, a neighbour’s life in danger, and local police who dismiss her as a crank.

I’ve worked hard in an effort to make the book a page-turner and a thumping good summer read – because I really want readers to enjoy it. When you get right down to it, that’s pretty much the reason we write anything, isn’t it?

But I really don’t think I’d be in this position if I hadn’t started writing for women’s magazines. The boost it gave me to be accepted for publication, and the lessons it taught me about writing for a discerning readership were invaluable. You can buy ‘I Know I Saw Her’ by E.D. Thompson here.

Surprised, delighted and wishing much writing success to all the womagwriters and competition-enterers who follow Patsy’s blog.

Eirin

P.S. I have a copy of the book to give away (UK or RoI only, I’m afraid). If anyone would like to be considered, please pop your name in the comments section below and I’ll pull one from a hat, if there’s more than one of you. Thanks!

If you'd like a copy of Eirin's book, please say so in the comments. Entries close midnight 5th July (UK time) and I'll announce the winner soon after. They'll be asked to email Eirin with the UK or ROI address they'd like the book sent to.

28 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

From one story acceptance to a published novel - congratulations, Eirin!

ChrisC said...

This was great to read. I ve always enjoyed your stories in TPF. The book sounds great, I m going to download the kindle version as I need very large font to read! Congratulations

Charlie said...

Congratulations Eirin, you are truly inspirational, your novel looks great and I definitely will be reading it! I too have returned to writing short stories for woman mags and had some successes after nearly giving up completely, also working on my first novel so reading about your success makes me believe I’m definitely on the right path and will keep going 🍾

Liz said...

I'm really happy for Eirin. I've enjoyed her stories in TPF and especially the series she wrote set on a newspaper - I used to be a journalist and always enjoy stories set in that world. She's such an inspiration.

Just one query: I've noticed Eirin's not on social media (at least as far as I can see) - is that something that her publisher is accepting of, or would they like her to have a social media presence?

Marguerite said...

Congratulations, Eirin - 'Rear Window' is one of my favourites so I look forward to reading your book :) With such a varied background, you have so much to draw from - so many different characters to be made!

Patsy said...

Thanks Eirin. It's interesting to hear about some of the many different routes to publication. I find it encouraging whenever a fairly ordinary writer, rather than a celebrity or someone already well known, gets a publishing contract or otherwise succeeds. I also find reassuring that the fact our first books might not sell well doesn't always mean we won't have another chance.

@ Liz – I see lots of advice to 'get a following' and 'build a platform' which all seems to focus on social media. It would be interesting to know whether that's really as important as we're sometimes led to believe.

Eirin Thompson said...

@ Alex J. Cavanaugh - Thank you so much, and best wishes with your current writing pursuits.

@ ChrisC - Thank you, Chris. I absolutely love writing for the People's Friend. My husband has glaucoma, and was gutted when he could no longer read books. As he was able to work successfully on his computer screen, I suggested Kindle and now he's flying. He has the benefit of a lit-up screen and can bump up the point-size as much as he needs. It's been amazing. So lucky to live in the age of the e-reader.

@ Charlie - Thanks for your very kind words. I think it does take a certain streak of resilience to keep writing and submitting in the face of rejection, but this can definitely be cultivated. I suspect it helps to have multiple pieces 'out there' for consideration, so that, even if one work is turned down, you still have hope. And the best medicine for a rejection is to get writing again quickly, I feel sure.

Eirin Thompson said...

Liz - Your very generous comments are much appreciated. I used to work in a newspaper office, too, and had a great time writing the 'Hold The Front Page' series for the People's Friend. The only social media I ever attempted was Facebook, but I didn't get on well with it. When 'I Know I Saw Her' was first accepted for publication, it was originally scheduled for April 2022 and I thought this would give me time to try (reluctantly) to get established on social media. When it got bumped forward to this summer, I was worried, but my editor at Hachette assured me that while it was most common for authors to use Twitter, I wasn't to worry if social media weren't for me. I came under no pressure in this regard. I have cheekily asked everyone else to plug the book for me, though!

Eirin Thompson said...

@ Marguerite - Thank you. Writing fiction for women's magazines is definitely an activity where life experience counts, in my opinion. The more you've done, the more you have to write about, and editors seem to welcome the widest variety of topics and backdrops, so everyone's experiences are equally valid.

Patsy - Thanks again for the opportunity to chat to your followers. I agree that the proliferation of 'celebrity' authors can be a bit discouraging, but I am here to say that a small woman from a small town with no special leverage in the publishing industry can, it seems, find backing from a publisher. Best wishes to all.

Sharon Boothroyd said...

I'd love to win this book as I've read so many of Eirin's lovely stories in TABFF and really enjoyed them.

Holly said...

A local novelist! Fantastic! I've it ordered on amazon... the genre is right up my street...cant wait to read it!

Jenny Worstall said...

Inspirational article! Many thanks. So interesting to hear about your writing journey.
And yes, of course I'd love to win a copy of your novel...!

Liz said...

@Eirin - thanks for answering my question about social media. Sometimes I think publishing houses put too much pressure on authors to be active on social media, so I am heartened to hear that Hachette don't mind your absence from it. Good luck with the book.

Kate Blackadder said...

I enjoy reading your stories in The PF, Eirin. Congratulations on your book; it sounds terrific.

Susan Wright said...

I'd love to win a copy of your book, Eirin, because I always enjoy your stories in Fiction Feast, and the book sounds intriguing.
Congratulations on getting it published. You must be so excited right now.

Eirin Thompson said...

@ Sharon Boothroyd - thank you for your very kind comment. Fiction Feast gave me my first ever 'womag' acceptance, for which I will always be grateful.

@ Holly - many thanks for your enthusiasm! I really do hope you will enjoy the book.

@ Jenny Worstall - I'm delighted you enjoyed the article. Thank you.

@ Liz - You're welcome. And thank you.

@ Kate Blackadder - I feel privileged to have the opportunity to try and entertain the People's Friend readership, which has been built up over 150+ years. And thanks so much for the congrats.

@ Susan Wright - Fiction Feast is such a fun read, isn't it? Thanks for your generous remarks.

New girl on the block said...

Congratulations Eirin! That's such a positive and encouraging post. I'd love to win a copy of your book.

Eirin Thompson said...

@ New girl - thank you! I thrive on encouragement. (Don't we all?)

Anonymous said...

Well done, Erin. Great post. Good luck with your novel. I'd love to be included in the draw to win a copy. Thanks. Good wishes. Kate Hogan.

alyson faye said...

Loved to read your story, inspiring and as I am an old movie fan, was interested to read your mention of the Hitchcock film, Rear Window as one of your influences.
Best wishes for the success of your book, Erin

Eirin Thompson said...

@ Kate Hogan - thank you so much for your kind comments and for entering the draw.

@ alyson faye - thank you for your generous remarks. I know Hitchcock is meant to have been something of a monster - particularly towards his female actors - but I thought the Grace Kelly part in Rear Window portrayed her as strong and clever. Great film.

Elizabeth McGinty said...

Hi Eirin, Thank you for sharing your experiences it's always inspirational and uplifting to hear of others success and gives that wee bit of hope that we might follow in your footsteps.
I would be delighted if you could throw my name in the hat for the draw and I wish you every success with your new book.

Eirin Thompson said...

@ Elizabeth McGinty - thank you very much for your lovely comments, and it will be a pleasure to include you in the draw. (My reply is late, but your entry was clearly on time!)

ados123 said...

I see your name often in TPF, Eirin. You've made a success of the 'womag' writing. Good luck with the book and please enter my name in the contest.
Alyson

Eirin Thompson said...

@ Alyson - thank you for your good wishes. If you are Alyson H (have I got that right?) then I see your name in nearly every issue! I'd be delighted to enter your name in the draw.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Eirin. That's fantastic news.
I always enjoy your stories in The People's Friend.
What a great inspiration you are for never giving up. Sharon H

lionsshare said...

Well done on the book Eirin - you are an inspiration to us all. I love the cover. I think getting the cover right is so important so that it stands out when we are browsing in a book shop. Best wishes, Linda. I'm also not keen on social media being a bit of an introvert!

Eirin Thompson said...

@ Sharon H - sorry for delayed response. Thank you very much for your very generous remarks. I do think it takes a fair bit of resilience to bounce back after being turned down, but I think it must be even harder for the acting profession, who have to audition in person!

@ lionsshare - apologies for late reply. Your kind comments are much appreciated. Yes, I really like the cover, too; I think it's a definite marketing asset and one which is probably essential to get a book noticed on a shelf of so many others.