Wednesday 31 August 2022

10 things writers don't need.


There's loads of advice about things which will help you as a reader. Lots of it is excellent. This book for example is jolly good. And this one is full of ideas (the seeds of a story!) – but just for a change this post focuses on things you don't need.


1. A qualification.

It helps if you can spell, and have a grasp of punctuation and grammar – and know interesting stuff you can include in your work. It doesn't matter whether you learned this in a formal way and have a piece of paper to prove it, if you picked it up as you went along, or even if you're still learning. You can still write.

I'm in no way criticising those who do have qualifications (I'm very proud of my grade B 'O' level in English language). Nor am I suggesting it would be a mistake to enrol in an academic course in the future if you'd like to - I just don't believe anyone needs a qualification in order to write.


2. Lots of free time.

Writing does take up some time. Ok, lots if you're going to complete a book or attempt to earn enough to keep you in biscuits, but you don't need a whole day or even several free hours at a time. The majority of writers started when they had full time jobs, young children to care for, or other commitments. Getting up twenty minutes earlier to write, writing for half your lunch break, or instead of watching one TV programme each week will give you at least a couple of hours every month.

3. To be able to type 'properly'. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with learning, or using this skill if you have it, but it's not vital. I use one finger and my thumb. I've written hundreds of short stories, six novels, lots of blog posts and plenty of other stuff. Some people aren't physically able to type in the usual way, or at all, but still write.


4. A dedicated writing space.

Yes, I know I have the wonderful mobile writing retreat. I love it, but I'd still write without it. My first few published stories were written on kitchen tables and the landing in a friends' house. If you don't have space at home you could write in the library, a cafe, at work, in the bus station ...

5. Money and equipment.

We all need money to live, but writing needn't be a further expense. 

A computer of some kind helps enormously and is necessary if you wish to submit work, but it doesn't need to be new or even yours. Libraries provide free computer equipment, so do some charities. A friend or employer might allow you to use theirs.


6. To read.

It is possible to write without reading, but I don't advise it. If you don't read the kind of work you want to write how will you know what readers expect, what's been done to death and where there are gaps in the market?

If you don't love the written word, why would you want to create more of it?

7. Routines, dedication and discipline.

Trust me, if these things were essential I'd never have written anything. In order to be even moderately successful you will need to put in some effort, but writing doesn't need to be your top priority or done at a certain time each day / week. 

That's not to say that a routine and consistent, professional approach are bad. They're not – quite the opposite in fact. However if you have other commitments or distractions you must or chose to spend time on, take breaks from your writing, or have a disrupted or non existent schedule, you can still be a writer.


8. Luck, contacts, fame, influence and magic.

These can be hugely helpful in achieving sales and other success (more so in some areas than others) but you don't need them for the actual writing part.

9. To have a blog or website, be on social media or create a platform.

See above! 


10. Cake.

I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. At times I've gone days without the stuff and still produced readable work. You will of course need an alternative – cookies, scones, flapjack, biscuits, cheese, chocolate, even fruit can work.

Do you agree with me? Are there things you've been told are essential for writers but which you manage without?


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha very good Patsy & love the Autumnal photos. Yes I'd agree with you though I think you could use a bit of will power to get on with it especially in fallow periods & though I suppose technically you don't need to be a reader, most writers are avid ones. Reading can allow you to travel without the air miles & prompt memories & new ideas. & as for chocolate & cake not being essential, ah now....

Sheelagh said...

Sorry above anonymous is Sheelagh, I blame my phone which has an anonymous default setting!

Marian said...

I agree with all of those (as I brush away a few biscuit crumbs!) and also with Sheelagh about will power in fallow times. It's interesting about typing. I have been a touch typist for most of my adult life, and do now type direct to my laptop, but it actually took me ages before I could write fiction first drafts without using a pen and paper! I think I associated typing with my work and I still write notes and plans by hand.

Sharon boothroyd said...

All good points, but I think you do need a certain amount of discipline, because without it, you will easily become distracted and you won't produce anything.
The one thing that irks me is these big ads you see in writing mags for long- distance writing courses claiming that, with their paid guidance, you can earn mega bucks from 'becoming a writer.'
That's misleading, for a start, because it depends on the circumstances and the area of writing you want to go into.
Plus, if you don't earn your course fees back selling your work, the 'school' guarantee a refund - fine.
I've heard people say that these courses are okay but the 'school' bombard you with so many modules that it's virtually impossible to actually finish the course you've paid for.
Unless you finish it, they can wriggle out of refunding you if your work doesn't sell.
Are the promises they make about earning a high salary accurate? I suspect not.
I certainly don't feel anyone needs to pay for expensive courses in order to do well.
I haven't, and I'm happy with my progress.

Eirin said...

Regarding Point 9. "To have a blog or website, be on social media or create a platform": I would love to believe the above were unnecessary, but in all honesty I suspect otherwise, especially if you're keen to boost your readership. Accordingly, today I tentatively joined Twitter. I've immediately followed you, Patsy, and would love it if any of your correspondents would follow me, at @ThompsonEirin. It's my intention to keep my tweets purely about writing and reading. Thanks, Patsy, for the opportunity to mention this. And that was another interesting, thought-provoking post.

Sharon boothroyd said...

I'd like to follow you Eirin, but I'm not on twitter.
I left it last year, as it became too much for me.
I'm on FB though.
I think a lot of publishers would expect their writers to promote themselves and their novel on several SM platforms and the authors would need a website or a blog (or both!) to attract a readership.
I don't have a clue about Instagram, vlogging, tick- tock, Linked- in or Snapchat!

Patsy said...

@ Sheelagh – Yeah, sometimes it's a lot easier to actually get on and write than it is at other times.

@ Marian – I like the idea of writing on paper, but I can't read my own writing!

@ Sharon – I've never been tempted by the kind of course where you're required to study every form and genre of writing, which seems to be the case with those which guarantee a refund if you don't make your money back. It is a good idea for newer writers to experiment with things they're not sure are right for them, but not many of us actively want to write poetry and plays and short stories and novels, and non-fiction ...

I agree with you about the emphasis on money too. Most of those who start writing believing they'll earn large sums are going to be very disappointed.

@ Eirin – Social media can be useful for raising awareness of our work, and for making contacts and finding out lots of useful stuff. For those reasons it can be a benefit to writers, but we could write without it.

I've followed you back on Twitter and also tagged you in an invite to #WritingChat It's a weekly event which I co host. All writers are welcome to take part, so it could be a good way to start getting to know other writers who use the platform.

@ Sharon – Social media can easily become too much, especially if we try to use multiple platforms. You're sensible to stick to whichever you're most comfortable with and find most enjoyable / useful.

Marguerite said...

One of the pictures being honesty, I'm not sure whether your statement about cake can possibly be true, Patsy ;) I'll take it you can live without - but I think I would HAVE to nominate cake AND chocolate as essential fuels - just maybe not at the same time.
These are all valid points - sometimes we get too bogged down with what we think we should expect to do.
(I'm a bit worried about the use of the word 'autumnal'... can we leave it for a few more days... please?)

Anonymous said...

I agree that none of them are essential, but some do help. I always write my first drafts by hand ( you can’t scribble in the margins on an iPad). Pieces of scrap paper and the back of envelopes are very useful to me. I can write just about anywhere. (Though my car or work van are good places).

Being good at spelling is an advantage. This reminded me of one time at school (I was about 12) when my spelling of the word parliament was crossed out by my English teacher, who ‘corrected’ it by writing parlaiment . I told her she was wrong. I got told off.

Social media platforms and the like are a bit beyond me, so I can’t comment on how useful they are. I think if you have a good imagination, are dedicated and believe in yourself, you have every chance of succeeding.
Michael D

Lindsay said...

Good list. Not sure about the cake one. That probably is essential. I'm sure I can attribute my lack of success to not eating enough of it. I do think spelling and grammar is important BUT if it's not a strong point, one can usually get some help.

Michael D - I hope your teacher didn't end up a minister for education in parliament.

Liz said...

@ Eirin - I'm a tad disappointed you've had to join Twitter to help publicise your books. That you had a book deal with zero social media presence had instilled some hope in me that it was possible for others to do the same. I am on social media but am finding Twitter in particular to be an increasingly toxic environment. Anyway, it will be good to interact with you there. I guess the more good eggs on social media the better!

Eirin said...

@Sharon - I am very wary of Twitter, but hoping for the best. I feel like I'm learning to drive a new car with all different controls, for now.

@Patsy - agreed: we don't NEED social media in order to write.

@Liz - sorry to disappoint! In fact, I came under no pressure whatsoever from publisher to join social media. However, having fulfilled my two-book contract, I am concerned as to whether I will sell enough books to have my contract renewed, so I'm trying to take any steps I can to enhance sales and give Hachette a reason to take my next book. I also hope joining Twitter will involve at least some fun. As you suggest, it is the potential toxicity that puts me off, a bit, but I'm hoping that it's possible to stick to writing and reading themes.

Sharon boothroyd said...

Twitter was fun at the start, but I only joined to help promote the e-mag my hubby and I set up. I left it last November and I don't miss it.

Patsy said...

@ Marguerite – It's very easy to concentrate on what we think we need, or should be doing or want and not stop to think if it all really applies to us personally.

@ Michael – That's it exactly. There are lots of things which might well help us, or make our writing lives more pleasant, but we can get by without a lot of them if we have to.

@ Lindsay – Maybe we should test your theory by eating more cake and seeing what happens?

@ Liz – There is a lot of positivity on Twitter – if we interact with the right people.

@ Eirin – It's good to know you weren't under pressure to join Twitter. That does suggest your publisher doesn't consider it essential.

@ Sharon – Twitter can be fun, but if we're not personally enjoying it and not finding it helpful then there's little point spending time there.

Sheelagh said...

One thing you really need as a writer is to be part of a supportive writing community be they on-line or in person, it is so much harder to keep going if you have nobody who understands the sheer joy and the trials & tribulations of being a writer. So once again, thanks so much Patsy for facilitating this one.

Anonymous said...

What true tips. I think mindset is important. Actually commit to sit down and write, not just talk about it. Make an appointment with yourself and write it on the calendar just as you would a doctor 's appointment. My writing time is every day after lunch. But your creative time may be early in the morning or late at night. Decide to write for 15 minutes. You can get a lot done in just 15 min. And if you're on a roll you probably won't realize you have written longer. Keep writing! Janet Glaser writing as JQ Rose