Saturday 14 October 2023

Four freebies and six bargains!

 Free entry competition news

Thanks to HB for sending me the details of the details of the latest Best fiction competition. Sorry I can't make the t&cs big enough to read. I think the magazine will still be in the shops.

I may have mentioned the Tom Gallon prize in a previous post, but with £2,000 on offer for 5,000 words I don't want anyone to miss the opportunity. (You need to have had at least one short story published to be eligible.)

 Thanks to Sharon Boothroyd to the link to this flash fiction competition. They want 100 words and are offering a £1,000 top prize.

And thanks to Alyson for this one. You've got up to 5,000 words and any genre you like to try to win $1,000.


Call for submissions

Galley Beggar are currently open for submissions of literary novels, in any genre, by female authors. My style isn't literary, otherwise I'd be tempted to send them my latest effort.

My news

All of my novel ebooks are currently on offer for 99p/99c (usual price £3.49 / $4.99) Offer ends 16th October 2023.



Leave Nothing But Footprints

Sharing a campervan in the beautiful Welsh countryside sounds, idyllic and Jess always gets what she wants – but is Eliot more than she can handle?



Paint Me A Picture

Mavis, aged 53, is finally able to live her own life. Will she survive the freedom to do as she pleases?


Firestarter

Alice has always had the hots for firemen. Is that why Hamish lights her fire, or is it something more?

A romantic comedy with a few flames.


Escape To The Country

Can Duncan the Dishy Tractor driver and Aunt Jayne's love potions mend Leah's broken heart?

A countryside romance.


A Year And A Day

Stella doesn't believe a word the gypsy said about her romantic future, especially the part about proving her predictions are true.


Acting Like A killer

Mystery fan Amelia Watson thinks she's too busy for romance, until she meets Patrick Homes. And she thinks she enjoys murder until she witnesses the real thing.

18 comments:

Elizabeth McGinty said...

Thanks Patsy, some very interesting comps to think about. Thanks also for your e-book offers.

Nothing much to report at moment, have chased up a few short stories currently out on submission but everything seems very slow moving at moment.

One highlight was last weekend's inaugural Women's Fiction Festival in Edinburgh, which was a fantastic event.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Look at all the books you have now!

Marguerite said...

Thank you Sharon, Alyson and Patsy for the comps. I am trying to sort one out now for Best :) When I read your newsletter, Patsy, it reminded me about reviews. I have been very mindful these past few months to write reviews for some of the things I've read - so need to do a bit of back-tracking! Your novels certainly deserve many more reviews! I do admit I find it difficult for the compiations - even though I enjoy them.

Sharon boothroyd said...

I've just looked at the Service Scape short story award.
Crikey. The winner needs to provide a baffling amount of legal paperwork.
It seems a bit OTT, so I won't be entering!
Yes, it's very slow moving at the moment - it's after the rush of Xmas story buying bouts, I expect.
We won't know if Ireland's Own have chosen their Xmas ones, as we only find out if a story has been accepted and published when a copy of the mag comes through the post.
It would be nice to let us know, wouldn't it? An acceptance email message of 1 line wouldn't take long to type and send.

ados123 said...

Thanks, Patsy for the all the competitions. A good variety.
And yes, what a lot of books you have out. I wish I could be bothered to do something with my short stories... sadly much too un-technically minded...
Alyson

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Patsy & all for the competition info. Re book reviews I received a message from Google reviews a few days ago apologising for the removal of some book reviews I did (one of which relates to one of your books, Patsy) & an assurance that they will be reinstated!
On the writing front things are ticking along just need to knuckle down & produce more.

Marian said...

Thank you for all the competition news.

I've got an idea for a Christmas story for the Best competition. I haven't written as much over the last couple of weeks as I'd like, but I hope things will be quieter from next week and I can get started on it. However, I did have another acceptance from The People's Friend, which I was really pleased about.

Thank you for the reminders about leaving reviews. It's something I get very nervous about doing and yet I realise it is very useful to writers to receive them, so I will be brave!

Fiona said...

Thanks for the competition info Patsy (and those who provided the links too).
I’ve just sent off my Tom-Gallon entry. The story you enter can be unpublished or published, so definitely worthwhile looking out something and having a go!

Sheelagh said...

@ Marion Well done on TPF acceptance, always great news to get

Marian said...

@Sheelagh Thank you so much. Yes, it's always a boost, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

A good selection of competitions to have a go at. Thanks, Patsy. And SIX novels. Wow! Maybe I'll finish one. Sometime ...
HB

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to be dense, everybody.
I have just noticed that TPF doesn't want formatting in submissions. I understand this means no para indents but is there anything else to take out please?

I find all your comments very useful and kind,thank you. Sue

Marguerite said...

I'm no expert in TPF, Sue, but I am guessing headers and footers and possibly page numbers -anyone feel free to correct me. I think Patsy would confirm or deny this?

Elizabeth McGinty said...

Hi Sue, this was posted on The People's Friend website in 2021. I think it's still what they are looking for in terms of no formatting. Hope it helps :)

https://www.thepeoplesfriend.co.uk/2021/06/22/fiction-eds-blog-about-formatting/

Eirin Thompson/E.D. Thompson said...

Sue, my understanding is that The People's Friend do not want page numbers or headers or footers of any kind; however, they do want you to put your name and contact details at the top of the first page, just in the ordinary part of the page, rather than inserted as a header.

Anonymous said...

Dear Marguerite, Elizabeth and Erin,
Thank you very much for your time and kindness in pointing out the way. I will edit my story according and cross my fingers! Your kind support is so greatly appreciated.

Also a big thank you to Patsy for creating this forum where we can ask questions and for help without feeling daft! Such warm support is absolutely priceless.

Kindest regards to you all, Sue x

Liz said...

Thanks for the competition links, Patsy. I've just entered the Tom-Gallon one, as it's open to Commonwealth residents.

I've been so busy this year that I've hardly written any fiction, but over the last couple of weeks, I've just started writing and submitting again. I've had quite a few things published lately, though, which has been great.

Patsy said...

Sorry I've not been replying to comments. There's been 'stuff' taking up my time.

Thanks very much to those who've commented, asked questions or provided answers. You're all brilliant and however busy life becomes I'll do my very best to keep providing a 'forum where we can ask questions and for help without feeling daft!'