Saturday 10 February 2024

Free entry writing competitions, an opportunity and promo news

Free entry writing competitions

For this short story competition, you only need write between 400 and 500 words, and they've already done the first few for you! First prize is $100 Aus. You don't need to be Australian to enter.

For this one you have to be a British national or UK resident - there are other requirements too. Both the maximum word count and prize are bigger - 8,000 and £15,000.

Opportunities

If you're interested in getting agent representation, and are in an under represented category (defined as writers of colour, disabled writers, LGBTQIA+ writers, and working class writers in this case) take a look here. Thanks to Sheila Crosby for that one.


My news

I have another new book out!

SLIGHTLY SPOOKY STORIES V

Ghosts, sixth sense and things not of this world aren't always scary, though they can be. Some help or warn, frighten or comfort those who perceive them. Others are here for their own purposes, waiting for a chance to move on. We might see, hear or feel them, perhaps they'll only reach us through our subconscious.

Are ghosts memories and echoes of the past, contacts from another time and place, or figments of our imagination? Whether you believe in them or not, ghosts, spirits and mysterious spooking happenings all provide stories. This collection contains 24 of them.

I'm also taking part in a promo thingy. If you're interested in finding new mysteries, crime stories and police procedurals to read (or are just curious) take a look here.

11 comments:

ados123 said...

Thanks, Patsy. Will definitely look at the Australian comp.

Is it just me or did you not put the link for the English competition? I can't make anything click through...

Good luck with the new book launch. Good for you - doing something with your short stories. Mine just sit on the computer, clogging up the system.

Alyson

Patsy said...

@ Alyson – I thought I had! I'll try again.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks, Patsy - might have a look at the Australian one!

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Patsy & good luck with the book.
The Aussie one sounds interesting though I'm wondering what exactly is the colour or shade of old socks??

Maisie Bishop said...

I was asking myself the same question, Sheelagh - an excuse to let the imagination run riot, I guess!

Sharon Boothroyd said...

Good luck with the new book, Patsy.
The thing with projects that require you to state if you're in an under- represented group is proving it.
I have a working class background but they may not feel that I fit the criteria.
I could say to myself 'Well, I'll apply anyway. All I have to is tick a box' but I'd so worried about it all, I wouldn't be able to write anything that I'd be pleased with.
The irony of it is, it also includes people who are disabled.
I assume this covers people who suffer from mental health problems. I suffer from anxiety.
But from my point of view, having these categories make it worse.
I don't know why they can't just make it open to everyone - all adults, regardless of ages, sexuality, class, colour, religion, disability, etc.
As an interested party, this would be far easier for me.
It ought to be the standard of writing that counts, not anything else.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on the new book!

Marguerite said...

The Australian one looks good. Good luck with Spooky V, Patsy!

Fiona said...

Thanks for the competition info Patsy and all the best with the new book!

Julia P said...

Agree with you there, Sheila.

Marian said...

Thank you so much for the competition news and congratulations on the new book!