Saturday 20 April 2024

Publication opportunities and more



 Free entry competitions


Thanks to Marguerite for both of these - "
https://tclj.toasted-cheese.com/a-midsummer-tale/ 1000-5000 words on the Summer Olympics until 21st June, Amazon gift cards as prizes.

Also, Secret Attic has relaunched, currently with monthly short and flash fiction categories by the end of each month for cash prizes, and a weekly one, no prize, but publication for winners.
Details change for the weekly one and a specific prompt given."

And here's an update from Sharon Boothroyd "Secret Attic have now changed the story length for their ongoing fiction competitions, and they are now free to enter.
They haven't got many entries for their 100 word story comp. The prize is a writing related book. The closing date is the last day day of April."

Thanks both of you!

A not free competition

I very rarely post about competitions with entry fees, but I'm making an exception for this one from Radio Victory. They're looking for stories of 600 words inspired by a song title from the 50s or 00s. The entry window is the whole of May. Prizes include having the winning stories broadcast, a book bundle, and a voucher. I'm making the exception because I'm involved with the Portsmouth Author's Collective which is supporting the competition - and because I'm going to be interviewed on the radio!


Calls for submissions

Dimensionfold are looking for speculative poetry (science fiction, fantasy or horror) to go in an anthology. There's no payment, but successful poets will get a pdf copy and the opportunity to buy copies at a discount. 

My news


We'll be off on our travels fairly soon (brace yourself for a LOT of photos!) I'm trying to get as much done as possible before I go. For that reason, I've put two of my books on pre order. There's this collection of crime short stories, and this cosy mystery novel.

I'm unclear about the benefits or otherwise of pre-orders, other than there being less to do just prior to launch. I'll let you know if I gain any useful insights.


7 comments:

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Patsy, Marguerite & Sharon for all the competition information. Always appreciated. Enjoy your travels Patsy, look forward to seeing the photos

ados123 said...

Thanks for the competitions all, and happy camping, Patsy.
Alyson

Marguerite said...

Hoping you have a form of 'central heating', Patsy ;) just in case! It'll be interesting to see how the pre-ordering pans out. A lot of authors seem to do it. Happy travels!

Patsy said...

Ooops. I don't know what happened this week. I thought I was getting myself all organised, then proved that wasn't the case by making two posts on the same day!

Lindsay said...

If you fancy a flash fiction challenge, Paragraph Planet publishes one 75-word story every day on the website. There's no payment but it can be a good way to kickstart your creativity. Each story must be exactly 75 words, including the title, and formatted as one paragraph. Submission information is on the website https://paragraphplanet.com/submission.php

Marian said...

Thank you to everyone for the competition news. They all sound interesting. I'm going to have a go at them!

Sharon Boothroyd said...

The results of the best mag pets competition have been announced in the current issue. The next competition has a theme of summer.