Saturday 12 October 2024

Three free entry writing competitions


Ooops. I nearly forgot to post today - the novel I'm currently editing really is that engrossing! (It's the third in my cosy mystery series.)


Free entry writing competitions

If you're over 18 and a commonwealth citizen you can enter the commonwealth short story competition and be in with the chance of winning £2,500 if you're a regional winner or £5,000 if you're overall winner. 
I know it can see as though we'd have no chance with these big competitions, but people really do win. I've had tea and cake a couple of times with one of the previous regional winners (and also have several other very tenuous claims to fame!) 



Here's a playwriting competition with a £20,000 prize! 


The Writer's and Artists Yearbook short story competition offers and Arvon course worth £850 as its prize.


My news

I'm editing! I'm happy with how it's going, except that it's taking longer than I'd anticipated. That happens to me a lot.


I'm taking part in another of those promotions which offer readers free books, stories etc in return for signing up to the author's newsletters. This will, almost certainly, be the last one of this precise form of promotion I do.

11 comments:

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Patsy for all the info & the beautiful photos, I just love the blue poppies.

Marguerite said...

Many years ago we bought some seeds back from Cornwall of the blue poppy - extremely difficult to grow - and were delighted to get just two flowers! Thank you for the competitions, Patsy. You sound as though you've had enough of that mode of promotion ;)

ados123 said...

Thanks for the comps. Patsy, although I've never had any luck with either the Writers and Artists or the Commonwealth prize - above my writing level I fear!
Are they Himalayan poppies? Beautiful colour. Good luck with the next promotion.
Alyson

Eirin said...

If you're enjoying reading your new book, that seems like a very good sign, Patsy. Hope it flies for you. I find that EVERYTHING takes longer than I'd expected, regarding writing and also life in general - I've given up setting myself a daily to-do list, as I invariably wildly overestimate how much I can get done in one day. The blue poppies are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the competitions, Patsy.
Is that you making the TPF cover this week, Sheelagh? Congratulations!
HB

Sheelagh said...

Thanks HB. It is indeed me & I'm delighted with myself 😀

Marguerite said...

Oh, Sheelagh! It doesn't seem so very long ago you had your first publication. I think you inspire us all when we're feeling down 🙂 Congratulations!

Patsy said...

@ Sheelagh – I love them too. They're not something I can grow here, but I'm drawn to them whenever I see them.

@ Marguerite - They're notoriously difficult. I'm impressed you got some flowers! I've germinated seeds OK, but they soon dwindled away. I don't have the right conditions.

The promos have worked well, but getting sign ups is just one small step towards book marketing and I feel I now need to focus on other areas.

@ Alyson – I don't think it's a case of the winning stories being better - just different. There are always exceptions, but womag type stories don't tend to do well in competitions.

Yes, Himalayan poppies - not from my garden, or the Himalays!

@ Eirin - Yep, it's not just the writing which takes up lots of time. Everything does - except cake eating. That seems to be over way too quickly!

@ HB - You're welcome - and well spotted! I hadn't seen that.

@ Sheelagh - well done. I shall make a point of admiring it and saying 'I know her' to a random stranger.

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Marguerite you're right, I had the 1st one accepted (but certainly not the first submitted) by People's Friend 2 years ago, then nothing read for almost a year until a change of editor in 2023. Getting on to front page & into this year's Christmas annual has been a real highlight for me.
& if it wasn't for this blog none of it would have happened as I'd previously always assumed that if you submitted a story & it was rejected you weren't suited to that particular magazine. Actually understanding that all writers suffer rejection from time to time has been an eye opener & that you can use that rejection to hone your writing & keep going. So I think it's invaluable to share our own stories both good & bad with our fellow writers. A big thank you is owed to Patsy for facilitating that process.

Sheelagh said...

Hope above doesn't sound like too much pompous navel-gazing 🤔

Patsy said...

It doesn't, Sheelagh. I think we all benefit from seeing we're not alone when we get rejections, don't hear back, are demoralised by dwindling opportunities etc. It can feel personal at times.

I think it helps too, to realise that those who are currently enjoying success weren't born published writers!