Tuesday 1 October 2024

Tuesday Top Tip

Read current work in your genre


I think it's important to read the kind of thing we intend to write. Not so that we can copy it, but so we know what readers (and editors, agents, publishers etc) expect. So we know what's been overdone, where there are gaps in the market, which boundaries might be becoming more flexible.

If you wish to write for magazines, buy the issue which is in the shops now – not the one you found wrapped around Granny's china in the loft. Things change! (The image is from the October issue of Take a Break's Fiction Feast) If you want to write a book, look what at what Amazon are offering in that genre, or what's piled high just inside the bookshop door. You get the idea.


This tip came from Patsy Collins (me!) who writes short stories and cosy crime novels. If you'd like to know more about her and her writing, sign up for her newsletter here, and get a free ebook.

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Excellent advice. One needs to stay current.

Susan Jones said...

Well done Patsy - I am going back to sending tips and letters- great photo x

Marguerite said...

Absolutely! As a reader, I have explored since I've had more time, dipping into genres I wouldn't have done. It all widens the experience. And maybe opens new avenues.

Sheelagh said...

Yes totally agree with you Patsy, I regularly buy magazines with good fiction content to study the market & stay current (& also to curl up with a cuppa when I want or need some R&R)

Marian said...

Very good advice, Patsy.

Anonymous said...

Reading current examples of your target market is a must, otherwise you're trying to hit a dart-board with your eyes closed and your back turned - not necessarily impossible, but not advisable. Having said that, I would not recommend reading any one source utterly relentlessly - you also need to take time to step back and muse in order to find your own voice. Sermon over. Great picture of you with your many books, Patsy - I'm delighted to see you getting this great spot in a bookshop to display your wares!

Eirin Thompson/E.D. Thompson said...

Sorry, I did that again - I am the anonymous contributor above.

Sharon at A Quick Read said...

Well, if anyone takes the under 30 category story winner in the TPF special as an example to follow, I'm sure they'd be hitting the mark😉 TPF stress that they don't want anything disturbing or upsetting...I'll leave you all to draw your own conclusions...