Saturday, 29 August 2026

Questions, questions

Today's photo is a quiz!

I do know what it's of, but only because there was some context when I took the image. Care to guess? Or perhaps you know?

Free entry writing competitions

Thanks to Sharon for the link to this poetry competition with a £100 first prize, and book tokens for four runners up.

Here's a playwriting competition. The theme is climate crisis. The prize is £15,000 and develpment support. Entrants to be UK based.

Calls for submission

Thanks to Alyson for sending the details of this call for anthology submissions. It's in aid of Hope Against Cancer, so there's no payment. You have 1,500 to 3,000 words to write a short story on the theme of 'An Act Of Kindness'.

And thanks to Linda Casper for the following – Competition at www.thefirstline.com either a story with their first line or last line.

Winter:
Lawrence was the last to arrive.
Due date: November 1, 2026
Notification: We don't make decisions about submissions until after each issue closes. We typically send notices four to five weeks after the issue's deadline to everyone who submitted. You can also check the website's home page for each issue's production status.

Payment: We pay on publication: $25.00 - $50.00 for fiction, $10.00 for poetry, and $25.00 for nonfiction (all U.S. dollars). We also send you a copy of the issue in which your piece appears. You'll receive your money and issue at the same time.

Request for help

A fortnight or so ago, someone mentioned me having a story in BOWW. I can't remember who, or exactly when it was. If anyone saw the story, can you recall the title, or what it was about?

11 comments:

Patsy Collins said...

@everyone – I was wondering why I had zero replies. The reason was that I'd accidentally scheduled the post way too far in advance.

Marguerite said...

Still, good to be ahead of things, Patsy :) BOWW issue 72, 27th July Towel Day. Thank you, Sharon, Alyson and Linda. I quite fancied the last/first line one, I think I even had an idea for it... now where did that go? Pic: I think it's an animal. Okay, out on a limb here, seal (alright, I know I'm wrong, and yes, no context, but something marine, points for trying?).

Sharon at A Quick Read said...

Thanks for the info. I've some good news to report. A couple of fiction projects wanted my stories. One wanted 2 Xmas stories, so that was nice. No fee but I wrote them to be published, so I'm ok with that.
The September issue of FF will be out next week. I wonder if there'll be reprints in, as well as the usual 10 AI assisted stories?
I see Ireland's own have launched their annual story competition. It's around £8 to enter it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Patsy, Alyson, Linda and Sharon (congratulations too!)
Photo - Could they be impressions in the sand left after a hail storm – no, perhaps not as they seems to be a definite pattern – it could be a bird like footprint from a dinosaur – but I think that would have made news headlines…😊
Dee

Anonymous said...

'as there seems to be'
sorry - it's early in the morning!

Marguerite said...

Well that was weird: instructions on what to do if you see a seal on the beach in my local paper online this morning. So, no, I don't think it's a seal. Congratulations, Sharon. Always lovely to have a Christmas tale published. :)

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Patsy & all for various opportunities. Now Patsy would it be tracks on snow??

Anonymous said...

Thanks Patsy for the info.
Congratulations Sharon.
Sand windsurfing trails?
HB

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, Patsy.
Congratulations Sharon.
Sand windsurfing trails?
HB

Eirin said...

My first response to the image was that this was sand with some sort of track marks on it, but then I wondered if that was too obvious and suspected the surface of a just-baked sponge cake, slightly scratched. Can't wait to find out.

Suzan Lindsay said...

Thanks for the interesting links and well done on your acceptances Sharon. I have a piece of microfiction in the latest issue of The Haiku Shack which I first heard about through this blog so thank you for that.