Saturday 10 December 2022

The way forward ?

Blog news

In my last post I asked for suggestions to help keep this blog going so it's useful to readers without taking up quite so much of my time. Thank you very much to all who replied (or will do so). I'll definitely be implementing some of your ideas. 

Some asked how blog readers can help take the pressure off me. I've replied more fully in the comments, but to sum it up – please share information in the comments. To (hopefully) make it easier to do this, I'm discontinuing the 'over to you' posts and will ask more specific questions in each post. However you're always extremely welcome to share writing related information and experiences, to report your successes (or otherwise!) pass on details of free competitions or submission opportunities, ask questions or for help, in the comments section of any post - and to reply to such posts from others.

If you'd like to send me competition links or general womag news directly via social media or emails that's great – but please only ask questions, share your personal experiences etc in the comments. That's because anything shared on the blog might help other readers - and they might be able to help you.

I like to thank those who provide useful links etc. If you have a website, blog or anything else you'd like me to link to, please provide that along with the info (even if I know you as my memory is terrible!)

I've published a new 'How this blog works' page to let people know what to expect, and how they can help. I expect I'll be revising that a bit over the next few weeks.

This week's specific question – which publications (physical or digital) do you submit to, or know of which are open to submissions? Please share any details you have, plus a link if possible, in the comments. Amongst other things, this will help me keep the submission guideline database up to date.

Free entry competition news

Thanks to Alyson for sending the link to this 400 word competition. First prize is £150. International entries welcome. You can submit fiction or non fiction.

Here's a crime novel competition with a publication contract as the prize.


Thanks to Fiona for sending me the link to this short story competition. Not only is there a £1,000 first prize, but the theme is crime story set in Scotland, so I've got an extra excuse to share a few more photos from my recent trip. It would be criminal to waste such an opportunity!

This short story competition has the theme 'preserve or purge'. The prize is $200 plus publication and you're allowed up to 3,500 words.


Womag / competition news

Best magazine are running another short story competition. The theme is Valentine's, closing date15th Jan and the prize £500, plus publication.





Womag news

I have a story in the current issue of Yours Fiction. Alyson Hilbourne kindly scanned the lovely illustration for me. The story was subbed in July and accepted in October. You'll only get a reply if the story is accepted.

The guidelines, websites etc for this, and all the other magazines I know about, can be found in my submissions database.


17 comments:

Sheelagh said...

Fantastic photos, you're a great advocate for Scottish tourism, it really is such a beautifully dramatic place. Thanks for all the updates and competition info. I hope you do continue in the long-term with the blog but I think you should feel free to post less when it suits you & not feel obliged to respond to every contributor individually, I think we all understand the time it takes to do so & would much rather forgo that than you & your blog Patsy. I'm always happy to answer anyone's queries where I can (try stop me) & likewise I love reading others answers/thoughts on queries, you learn so much. Overall its a great forum for keeping up todate on other writers views & experiences on submitting, acceptances etc in an informal way. So well done on keeping it going for so long.



Marguerite said...

As we are all at different stages, it is probably useful to have context - I am retired and this is not my job. I would love to have some short stories published in magazines so follow this blog. I subscribe to Secret Attic (but you don't have to)
https://www.secret-attic.co.uk/ as it gives me discipline to write short stories and flash with a regular chance of publication in an anthology - and maybe even a win!
I entered (paid for) Crowvus Christmas Ghost story competition (unsuccessful) but they have submissions for their magazine. I like this site because of the ghost/spooky interest. I haven't explored any subs for them.
https://www.crowvus.com/submissions
I am thrilled to share Yours Fiction Special with you, Patsy, and Val McDermid this month! My First Proper Published Womag :)

ados123 said...

Thanks for all the updates, Patsy and the competitions.
Out of interest have you visited all the castles in Scotland or is it a goal? They do make stunning photos anyway.
Thanks
Alyson

Sharon boothroyd said...

I think I'd need a separate blog post for all the places that I submit work to!
I admit that I've given up on Stylist mag, as I don't know of any womag writer who has had their stories accepted there.
Their fiction is behind a pay wall and just published online. I didn't fancy paying a fee, simply to read something that I probably can't write.
As far as I can tell, YOU in South Africa has stopped accepting and publishing fiction. If anyone knows any different, please let us all know!

Elizabeth McGinty said...

Hi Patsy, good to see you back.

I've read over the previous post and have no further suggestions to add to those already offered up by others. I am happy to assist, where I can, on whatever direction you feel the blog should progress.

For various reasons I've not made many/any submissions to womags over the last few months so not really up to date on what they are currently looking for but hope to remedy that in the New Year.

As always thank you for comp links and beautiful photos. Congratulations on your publications and also to Marguerite for her first womag publication, it's always such a thrill.

Sheelagh said...

Congratulations to everyone who has had work published recently especially Marguerite, its a brilliant feeling when you get paid for your work no matter how much. Congrats to Sharon too, I see her short story in Ireland's Own this week. Personally I submit to Ireland's Own occasionally usually non-fiction, Woman's Weekly & People's Friend & the odd competition. I work part-time elsewhere & so only write part-time too.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you have a plan and intend to keep it simple!
You and Shannon Lawrence are the only two I know of who post a list of competitions. And you both do a good job of it.

J Lenni Dorner said...

Great post. Glad you got some ideas to keep this going. I enjoy visiting your blog.

Dewey Decimal System Day is December 10. 📚
“The only limit to your success is your own imagination” – Shondra Rhimes
I most recently blogged about my upcoming book and launch party.
I wish you a merry holiday ⛄ season, and a New Year full of peace, joy, and creativity.

Maisie Bishop said...

I like Marguerite's idea of context about where we're all coming from. I'm a teacher, so writing isn't my job either. However, I'm about to retire, so will have more time for my writing, which is exciting. I write as Maisie Bishop, so I'm going to start posting in her name rather than as 'New girl on the block', as I realise I'm not that new any more.:)

I've had work published in Yours Fiction, Woman's Own and Spirit and Destiny. I continue to submit to the first two, but Spirit and Destiny currently has a backlog of stories and isn't accepting submissions. I also used to sub to Your Cat, and had some work published and paid for, but the last piece I sent in to them (in 2020) was unpaid. They asked if I was happy for them to put it on their blog for no fee, and I agreed, but I haven't submitted since. I've had one poem published in TPF, but absolutely no joy with my stories!

I also love Secret Attic, as it's a good opportunity to get work 'out there'. I'd really like to branch out a bit from womag writing, so I like to hear about all the competitions and enter them from time to time.

Sharon boothroyd said...

Many thanks for this news, Shelia!
I had no idea that a story has appeared in Ireland's own. Is it a Xmas one?
I haven't been informed that it was accepted, and I haven't received a copy of the mag through the snail mail post.
Mind you, there have been postal strikes, so it could arrive later.
If anyone's interested, the next strike dates are 14, 15, 23 and 24. No post will be delivered on Xmas Eve but they will deliver parcels.



Marian said...

I'm only just catching up on the last two blogs as I had such a busy week last week, but I agree with so many of the comments. I have found this blog invaluable, as I am still quite new to submitting my work. I always enjoy reading about people's successes and find it encourages me to keep going.

I'm mainly concentrating on trying to improve my womag writing and I submit to The People's Friend, Yours and Yours fiction and Woman's Weekly. I also enter the Best competitions and was lucky enough to win once.

However, I have signed up to Secret Attic and I like hearing about other competitions and do try to enter them when I can.

Sheelagh said...

Sharon if you google Ireland's Own facebook page it mentions it there, would be in this week's magazine so probably still in the post. It's 'Bootsale Bargain'. The postal service has really slowed down between the two countries since brexit & then throw Christmas into the mix you'll be lucky to get by Easter. Surprised they didn't email you though. At least you know now & can check your bank balance soon 😂

Patsy said...

Thanks for all the comments so far.

For the record, I've not been to every Scottish castle – yet!

IO don't usually email me to say a story has been published. They do always pay and send a copy though. Actually they send two. The issue I'm in, plus another. So sometimes I don't know until more than a week after it was published.

The other mags I currently sub to are TAB, My Weekly, Yours and Yours fiction. I also usually try the Best competition.

Anonymous said...

Some more good photos, Patsy. And like others have said, your blog is full of valuable information and has helped me over the last few years regarding competitions ( I need to enter more of those), submission advice and updates, editor’s details etc. Congratulations on your story in Yours Fiction. Is that your first in the special? I can’t recall seeing your name in there before.

I did sub a Christmas story to them. No luck this time around, but I got a surprise email from Sharon Reid saying she was unable to use it due to lack of space. 21 stories this issue. It’s usually 26. Longer stories perhaps? She offered to keep it on file for next year. So not all bad news.

Congratulations to everyone who’s had acceptances.
Michael D

Liz said...

Great photos, Patsy!

I mostly submit to The People's Friend. I don't really have many womags I can submit to because of closed lists and the all rights issue - plus, because I'm Australia-based, some of the womags aren't worth submitting to once you factor exchange rates into the low pay (the British pound has been weak against the Aussie dollar for a while now). Anyway, I've been fortunate enough to sell a number of stories, serials and features to TPF over the past 3 years, and hopefully that will continue.

Marguerite said...

Thank you, Elizabeth and Sheelagh, for your kind words. It is a great personal achievement and privilege to be included in a national magazine - and it might never happen again! But I did it :) It certainly makes you realise you just might... be on the right track.

Sharon boothroyd said...

Many thanks Sheelagh! The fiction ed there has emailed me.