Saturday 24 December 2022

Warm winter wishes


A stag munching grass
Today is Christmas Eve, the shortest day (in my part of the world) has passed and the days are getting longer and lighter.  That makes me happy. Are these things you celebrate? 


I'm celebrating another flimsy excuse to share some of my photos of Scotland! I do know that's not a reindeer - I mean the first competition link.

Pine trees with a loch and mountain in the background

Free entry writing competitions

Thanks to Fiona for passing on the link to this essay writing competition. "Entrants must be aged over 16 and resident in Scotland, born in Scotland or have a longstanding association with Scotland. " I wonder if I'd qualify? (I don't just go there and take many, many photos – my husband is half Scots.) For those who do, there's a £1,500 prize on offer.

Lochside garden in the sunshine
Thanks to Marguerite who shared a link to Lipstick and Lies in the comments to last week's post. This is a monthly competition with a £10 voucher for the winner and publication of their story and the runner up in a booklet due out in 2024.

WaterfallAnd thanks to Elizabeth McGinty for sharing this flash fiction competition which looks like fun and offers a small prize. 

There's still time to enter the Green Stories novel writing competition and it looks as though they'll be running more competitions for different writing forms in 2023.

Other publication opportunities

Fanatical are looking for sci-fi, horror and fantasy stories. They pay £20 per published piece.


Scots pines silhouetted against a mountain

Womag news

I've had an acceptance from a magazine I didn't even submit to! 

Not quite as strange as it sounds – A story submitted to Yours was forwarded by the editor to her colleague at the sister publication Yours Fiction. 

Heilan coo with big horns

That was an exception. Generally stories (poems, articles etc) will only be bought by the editor you've sent them too, so don't leave them lurking on your hide drive – get them out there! 

Purple fingerless gloves

My news

My hands are toasty warm, thanks to the gloves Fiona made for me. Aren't they great? 

I'm amazed how much difference they make. If you're getting cold hands while typing, it's definitely worth trying a pair.

(Gary took this photo and didn't laugh very much at me trying to position my fingers as though I can actually type.)

path through the cairngorms

As always –

New blog posts are published each Saturday. All blog readers are welcome to use the comment section to share writing news, tips, successes, links to competitions and other publication opportunities, to ask questions and to respond to comments from others.

Happy all the seasonal and festive things to you!

14 comments:

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Patsy for sharing all this competition info, great photos over the year & especially photo of the gloves, they lòok really great. Perhaps you could submit the photo with a relevant story....
Anyway seasons greetings to one & all, personally I love this time of year when big fires, good books & quality chocolate reign supreme.

Mrs Elizabeth McGinty said...

Well done on your acceptance Patsy, and thank you for the comp links and fabulous photos.
I love the fingerless gloves from Fiona and in your fav colour too very apt.
Festive good wishes to everyone, hope you enjoy the holiday season in the company of good stories. xx

ados123 said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours, Patsy. Thank you for all the competitions during the year and the photos. I'm just working on a crime story for the Scottish whisky competition. I don't hold out much hope but it makes a pleasant change from writing womag stories.
I also had an acceptance this week from Yours Fiction for the Feb issue. We may be issue buddies?
Alyson

Marguerite said...

Love the fingerless gloves! They look so cosy! Merry Christmas - and thank you for all your hard work this year, Patsy, to help us - I assume you'll be asking for a pay rise ;)

Patsy said...

@ Sheelagh – Happy Christmas!
Books and chocolate are going to feature quite heavily for me over the next few days.

@ Elizabeth – Happy Christmas!
I'm starting to feel that readers of this blog know me quite well...

@ Alyson – Happy Christmas!
Congratulations on the acceptance. Writing crime stories is weirdly fun, isn't it?

@ Marguerite – Happy Christmas!
A pay rise for writers would very be nice.

Sharon Boothroyd said...

I've just discovered that TAB fate & fortune mag is re-publishing (I think) fiction in a 'spooky story' slot.
The first one appeared in last September' issue.
It's strange how no-one else has mentioned it. I didn't think to check myself as the mag previously hadn't featured fiction at all.
They must have taken material from the old all rights contract.

Sue McV said...

Apparently stories submitted to Woman's Weekly will no longer also be considered for Woman and Woman's Own. Information from Andrew Shaw, WW Fiction Ed. Not sure if everyone already knew this so thought I'd mention it just in case you didn't.

Sheelagh said...

That's interesting information from Sharon & Sue, I didn't know either. I wonder if that means that Woman & Woman's Own are no longer publishing fiction or that they have separate fiction editors to submit to

Maisie Bishop said...

Indeed - interesting info about WW etc. Thanks for sharing that. It would be good to know if they do indeed have separate fiction editors now.

Fiona said...

Very late reading your post Patsy but thanks for all the comp info, lovely photos and glad that you like the gloves! Hope they help you write loads of great stories!

Sue McV said...

Hi again. Apparently Woman's Own is no longer carrying fiction and Woman is only publishing 're-use' fiction. Not good news I'm afraid.

Sheelagh said...

Thanks Sue for the update. That's a pity.

Sharon Boothroyd said...

Many thanks for the update, Sue.
I hope the longer stories Andrew has accepted will still be considered.
There's no point in us penning a 1, 800 story when there's no need for us to do so!

Patsy said...

@ Sharon – Oooh, interesting - thanks.

@ Sue – I didn't know that, so thanks for the update.

@ Sheelagh and Maisie – Sadly it seems they don't need one. Rats.

@ Fiona – I don't see how they can fail!

@ Sharon – You're right, there isn't.